Im interested in a 48" raptor sd or a husqvarna 52" ztr

sparkyth67

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Im interested in a 48" raptor sd or a husqvarna 52" ztr
I have the hustler sd 54 bought last year and it did great the first year this second season nothing but trouble deck clutch went out then the starter solenoid now having trouble with carburetor issues and after the dealer cleaned the carburetor and charged me 120 dollars because they claimed bad gas even though all of my other equipment use the same gas from the same container it cut one time and started messing up again and they wouldn't work on it unless I paid them to clean the carb again. so Be careful about the dealer as well right now the rep has it and is going to clean the entire fuel system at no cost so Hustler themselves did step up but I am seriously considering trading it for a more commercial grade model.

kraky

Threads
I think in fairness you have to separate hustler from the component manufacturers. I think ogura makes the deck clutch and in general they have a pretty good reputation but maybe someone else will chime in about their reputation. Not sure who else uses them but I think there are only a couple electro/mag clutch makers out there making them for everyone.
Now on fuel system troubles that would be on Kawasaki. In general they have a damn good reputation. I've ALWAYS 100% used non ethanol fuel in my mowers, weedeater, blower, snowblower and snowmobiles. Absolutely no troubles w/any of them. The kaw engine in my lawn tractor is 13 years old and still has the original fuel filter on it and runs like new. my brother didn't believe my advice and everything he's had has been in the shop year after year. I've seen how ethanol can rot a black fuel line from within and the crud settles into the Carb in a hurry. And it will re occur every few weeks till a new line is put on.
Not saying you're running bad gas but just want to say quality fuel is beyond critical these days in ANY small engine.

sparkyth67

Forum Newbie
Threads
I think in fairness you have to separate hustler from the component manufacturers. I think ogura makes the deck clutch and in general they have a pretty good reputation but maybe someone else will chime in about their reputation. Not sure who else uses them but I think there are only a couple electro/mag clutch makers out there making them for everyone.
Now on fuel system troubles that would be on Kawasaki. In general they have a damn good reputation. I've ALWAYS 100% used non ethanol fuel in my mowers, weedeater, blower, snowblower and snowmobiles. Absolutely no troubles w/any of them. The kaw engine in my lawn tractor is 13 years old and still has the original fuel filter on it and runs like new. my brother didn't believe my advice and everything he's had has been in the shop year after year. I've seen how ethanol can rot a black fuel line from within and the crud settles into the Carb in a hurry. And it will re occur every few weeks till a new line is put on.
Not saying you're running bad gas but just want to say quality fuel is beyond critical these days in ANY small engine.

I have to disagree if you separate a manufacturer from the components you are left with not very much other than endless warranties once any manufacturer installs a component they will have their name on it should go through critical R&D because they are stating it is good enough to be on our product and we have no problem backing it. I too have also only used non ethanol gas the problem there however is usually they are independent store owners who buy their gas from whoever is lowest and it is not always as good as you might think as well as the fact the non ethanol gas does go bad and create varnish much easier so that then becomes a crap shoot for everyone.

kraky

Threads
I'm not trying to blame you for the bad luck....just saying I "think" the components that failed on you are generally regarded as good ones. I might be lucky that I have a reputable fuel source close by. Fwiw...I've had good luck w/ seafoam fuel additive for storage. Every now and then my 4 stroke hand held blower feels like its running lean. A dab of seafoam seems to clear it up. If i wasn't confident in my fuel source I'd probably add it to all the fuel I bought on a regular basis. I haven't used my snowmo for 5 years. Every two years I drain the fuel....put it in my car...then refuel the sled w/seafoam infused non ethanol gas. So far...knock on wood.....it starts right up after a two year sitting...and runs perfect from idle on up.

Doug44

Threads
I have to say that I started with the Hustler Raptor SD 54" and moved to the Fastrak SD which is exactly what I was looking for. Pricey but what I needed. I have a 60" and it's got a great left side trim deck.

To stay in your price range I would consider doing the Husqy. At that level they have some things the Hustler doesn't have. Muffler heat deflector, serviceable hydros to name two that I know of. I agree that they've been doing the homeowner models longer and have worked out some bugs in them that Hustler may not have yet. As for the fabricated deck vs. stamped deck, my 20 year old craftsman tractor has a stamped deck and when the blades are sharp stripes pretty good. IF all you ever cut is your lawn then buy what gives you the most. My trimmer and blower are both Husqvarna and start 2nd or 3rd pull every time. Just like they should with choke. Great machines. Also my favorite chain saws are Husqy.

Rick

You are incorrect about serviceable hydro the Raptor SD does indeed have them. Stamped vers manufactured decks has nothing to do with a units ability to strip, and lastly a manufactured deck is always more desirable than a stamped deck.

kraky

Threads
Probably starting an argument here but I won't buy into a stamped deck always being less favorable than manufactured. There are cheap stamped decks and pretty darn awesome ones like Deere uses. There aren't too many manufacturers that can afford the huge presses Deere uses. There's some cheap manufactured decks out there falling apart in no time too.
Even the deck on the sd54 didn't come out if engineering too hot....they realized they needed a stiffener soon after introduction.

turboawd

Threads
Probably starting an argument here but I won't buy into a stamped deck always being less favorable than manufactured. There are cheap stamped decks and pretty darn awesome ones like Deere uses. There aren't too many manufacturers that can afford the huge presses Deere uses. There's some cheap manufactured decks out there falling apart in no time too.
Even the deck on the sd54 didn't come out if engineering too hot....they realized they needed a stiffener soon after introduction.

i agree. personally i think the contours of a stamped deck create a better flow of the clippings. its just that most stamped decks are thin gauge steel.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have the Raptor SD 48" that I bought from a dealer. I was told that it was an entry level commercial type mower. They showed me a model next to it, I can't remember what it was, that they said would be sold in Home Depot stores. Anyways, I have 18.8 hours so far on it, and I'm well pleased. I can cut my 3 acres with hills and trees in 2 hours and 10 minutes. I'll let you know in a couple of years if she holds up. It seems like a tough machine.

The Raptor SD isn't an entry level commercial mower, maybe high end residential. Hustler themselves says it as their entry level category to the ZTR market. It has the 2800 drives and the FR Kawasaki engine which are both residential application. The Hustler Fastrak SD I believe is their entry level commercial mower, it has the FS kawasaki and 3400 drives.

The Raptor and Raptor SD are sold at HD and Lowes to boost sales and compete with others manufacturers like Toro and there Time Cutter ztr which is sold at the BBS. The Raptor is a tough little machine when your talking about 25 to 30 hrs a year or season and it should last a homeowner more than a few years but I'd like to see how long it would last under commercial usage when your running 3 or 400 hrs a season.

Last edited:

bigdaddyr

Threads
You are incorrect about serviceable hydro the Raptor SD does indeed have them. Stamped vers manufactured decks has nothing to do with a units ability to strip, and lastly a manufactured deck is always more desirable than a stamped deck.

As far as the hydros go that is correct. They are serviceable. I think I must have thought they the OP was taking the standard Raptor. I will say that the 3100's feel like a big step up from the 2800's for me.

I didn't say that stamped or fab deck has anything to do with striping, only that you can get a good result with both is what I was insinuating. Fabricated is more desirable but for OP's application he should do what will keep him in budget and get some of the other features that may be more important to him. If you're just mowing your own property then you shouldn't be beating up the deck like a commercial user.

kraky

Threads
In the cost vrs lifespan argument sometimes a cheap entry level machine wins. I wouldn't be surprised if a $3000 raptor easily lasted a reasonably careful homeowner 600-800 hours. It might still be worth $500-800.
Buy a commercial unit for $10000 and 700 hours later its worth $6000.
I stumbled onto a vid of a commercial guy using a raptor 42 w/mulch kit for small customers w/lots if sidewalks etc. He said it was holding up well considering the use.
Years ago I knew of a cheap $1500 sabre jd lawn tractor that went 1000 hours in a small country side cemetary. It had virtually no repairs but finally spit the hydro. The operator said it probably would have gone much longer but 6 hours steady mowing w/lots of forward/backward around headstones got the little tranny warmer than it was designed for.
Oh...and the stamped deck was in great shape too...lol!

Last edited: