Fuel Tax

bones66

Threads
Is buying "farm fuel or gas" for a mower from a farm supply dealer legal? I don't exactly know what taxes are not included on farm diesel that are on other fuels. I've always heard it called road tax thus the reason tractors and farm equipment are exempt and can buy fuel without these taxed added. Saves several cents per gallon. I purchase farm diesel for my tractor and my question can the same thing be done for a mower, it shouldn't be subject to road use tax should it? I haven't read between the lines so to speak so I can't say something doesn't prohibit it.

Sprinkler Buddy

Threads
I love your thinking but we would never get it passed the poloticians!/politics! :laughing: Yes I know it's spelled wrong.:thumbsup:

KeithAlbert

Threads
You can keep track of your fuel purchase from the pump and write off the "road tax". So I would think that buying farm gas is just fine.

rer

Threads
I didnt know there is such a thing as farm gas. I know farm diesel is about a dollar cheaper a gallon. In the state of Texas if you are caught burning it in a vehicle you can be fined up to 10,000 per every gallon recovered.:thumbdown:

A mower it is a piece of machinery you should be perfectly fine.

bones66

Threads
I didnt know there is such a thing as farm gas.

Well I kind of threw that in because I know some people that have gas and diesel tanks at their farms. I'm in the tobacco belt (no longer as such) and the cultivating tractors were gas. Many older (age) farmers still had gas equipment also.

I know farm diesel is about a dollar cheaper a gallon. In the state of Texas if you are caught burning it in a vehicle you can be fined up to 10,000 per every gallon recovered.:thumbdown:

I don't know what the fine is but it contains a dye and if you're found running dyed fuel in a road vehicle you're toast.

A mower it is a piece of machinery you should be perfectly fine.

JohnAgain

Forum Newbie
Threads
You do know you can deduct the "road tax" on your income taxes every year. It's form 4136.

bones66

Threads
I hope my post wasn't misleading. I burn far less fuel in my tractor than my mower. I usually visit the farm supply store and purchase 10 gal at a time for my tractor. I use regular 5 gal. fuel containers. I have been buying my tractor diesel from the same farm dealer for several years and they know I don't use large amounts. I do this when I'm in the area and don't make a special 30 mi. round trip. I mow for free (That's a whole different story) 6 lawns. 3 very large and 3 average. I am usually purchasing fuel for my mower later in the evening after finishing up for the day. I stop at a regular type convenient store pumps w/ road tax included. My reason for the legality question of using farm diesel or road tax free is this. When I start showing up with my cans purchasing more diesel from the same place I've been dealing with for yrs. would I be legal in telling them It for my mower? I say yes. As Bill O'Reilly would say "What Say You"?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
...When I start showing up with my cans purchasing more diesel from the same place I've been dealing with for yrs. would I be legal in telling them It for my mower?

My mower & my tractor burn Diesel... so I always get fuel for both...

And the 'farm fuel' is "Off Road" road tax exempt... :smile:KennyV

domsriltz123

Forum Newbie
Threads
You do know you can deduct the "road tax" on your income taxes every year. It's form 4136.

mullins87

Threads
Yes, you can burn "off-road" fuel in any equipment/vehicle you choose....just don't get caught by Vehicle Enforcement with it in your tank. I am only 42 years old and have never seen "off-road" gasoline, but I have heard some of the older guys talk about "refund gas", which I'm assuming is the same thing. Diesel is dyed whether it is "on-road" or "off-road." The "on-road" fuel is dyed green, while "off-road" fuel is dyed red. Currently, "on-road" fuel meets the 2007 ultra-low sulfur standard of 15 ppm, while "off-road" fuel meets the old standard of 600 ppm. Unless you have a diesel engine that is made to comform to the new standard, I would suggest either adding a lubricity agent such as Stanadyne, Lucas, or Diesel Power, or simply use the "off-road" fuel.