Replaced my Speed Feed Head

Threads
Today I decided to replace the Speed Feed head on my SRM-225 trimmer. It was the original Speed Feed head that came on the trimmer when I bought it in spring of 2012, so it has seen a lot of use. And it shows! The photo is showing the same side of the two trimmer heads....as you can see the old one has worn through almost completely!! It has served me well for the past 3.5 years.

trimmer heads.PNG

Lawn Addict
Threads
lawn mower fanatic- Yep, looks like it was ready for replacement.

How do you like that head for performance etc ?

Threads
lawn mower fanatic- Yep, looks like it was ready for replacement.

How do you like that head for performance etc ?

I really like it. I have pre-cut loops of line attached to my trimmer in case I run out in the middle of a lawn. So because of that I can resting the trimmer in around 15 to 20 seconds. Speed feed in the only head I've ever used, but I love how efficient it is.

jefssmith

Forum Newbie
Threads
I use them on all my trimmers. I really like them. They do wear out though and my guys seem to have a hard time learning to put the line on. They'll sneak them back on the rack and grab another one. Maruyama makes one that has a metal piece in the middle of the bump plate, but I haven't been able to retro it on any other brand.

Threads
I use them on all my trimmers. I really like them. They do wear out though and my guys seem to have a hard time learning to put the line on. They'll sneak them back on the rack and grab another one. Maruyama makes one that has a metal piece in the middle of the bump plate, but I haven't been able to retro it on any other brand.

For me restringing it is easy.
1) Line up the arrow (which if I do once I never have to do again unless I take the head apart)
2) Put line through so it's the same length coming out each side
3) Twist the head until it's the cutting length you want it.

Lawn Addict
Threads
lawn mower fanatic- That's what I was hoping to hear, sounds like a winner.. :thumbsup:

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
We have been using them for about 18 months now. Have had great success with them.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Cool, certainly hearing lots of good about them.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not sure what is going on with the Speed Feed heads but on two different occasions this year I have had one that would act like it was trying to freeze up when you bumped it to advance string. Then the string would pull back inside of the head and the only way to get it out was to take it apart and start over. Not sure if it was excessive wear in the mechanism or what. Love the heads though. The work great other than this issue. Not sure how long these particular heads had run.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Not sure what is going on with the Speed Feed heads but on two different occasions this year I have had one that would act like it was trying to freeze up when you bumped it to advance string. Then the string would pull back inside of the head and the only way to get it out was to take it apart and start over. Not sure if it was excessive wear in the mechanism or what. Love the heads though. The work great other than this issue. Not sure how long these particular heads had run.

Did someone flip the spool?
If the spoil is in wrong it will suk the line in.