Snapper Clutch/Brake Problem

Bill Tynes

Threads
I bought an '02 Snapper RER with a 17.5 Briggs with a broken clutch/brake cable. I have replaced the cable and rubber drive disc but now when I press the brake I get a terrible scraping sound from the disc area. It didn't do this before I replaced the disc. I've replaced them before and I think I put everything back the way it came off. Not much to it. I'm at a loss as to what it might be.

Also when I release the clutch, the mower hesitates before moving. This is why I replaced the disc. I thought the old one might be worn to the point it was slipping. I also have to push the brake all the way down to stop. Do I need to adjust the cable or something? Thanks in advance.
Billt23

rer

Threads
It sounds like your pulley is rubbing on the chain box. Mine did this when I installed a 5.5. My break cable also broke, but I have gotten used to it just engine breaking.

Bill Tynes

Threads
The sound went away when I adjusted the drive plate. Now all I have left is a reverse problem. When I put it in reverse I have to push the gearshift as far as it will go and after a couple of seconds of nothing, it will finally start slowly going backwards. What could cause this?

Dannie

Threads
Have used Snapper mowers for years .You may need to move the disk down just a tad bit more,or adjust the shifter back a little.Good luck...........

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've found on my Snappers that A reverse problem is usually a disk that's not adjusted down (tight) enough It'll slip in foward, too, if mal-adjusted. Or, as Dannie said, adjust the shifter til it's right, if there doesn't seem to be any slipping.

Bill Tynes

Threads
Thanks for the reply. It doesn't slip going uphill so I'm assuming the disc is tight enough. How do I go about adjusting the shifting lever?
Btynes

OLONKEJEK

Forum Newbie
Threads
please elaborate on "adjusting the shifting lever..............."

Olonkejek