Craftsman Eager 1 - Worked but now won't start

nnhubbard

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a used Craftsman Eager 1 that I used to mow about half my lawn and now it won't start, even after letting it sit for a day. I have tried everything, new spark plug, new air filter, gas is fine.

I had issues with it right after I bought it, where the cable (that attaches to the bar that you hold when pushing it) was not pulling far back enough, so it wouldn't allow it to start. It almost seems like this is the issue again, but I have pulled the cable as far back as possible (even rigged it to pull further).

When trying to start it, it doesn't even sound like the engine is trying to start up.

Could it be the cable is not pulling far enough? Sorry for not knowing more about engines...

jeff

Threads
Does it pull easily when you try to start? If so, then there are a whole host of problemsthat could cause no start. First thing would be to check for good spark, if that is good, then you likely have a fuel delivery issue.

nnhubbard

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes, it pulls very easily. I had spark the other day on a brand new spark plug, but I will check again.

jeff

Threads
OK, you have spark and the flywheel brake is releasing. Does it have fresh fuel? If so you likely have some debris in the carb. Remove the float cover after shutting of the flow from the tank, I usually pinch the fuel line with visegrips. As you remove the float bowl, you will have a small amount of fuel,so have a small container to catch it. Once it is off use a small piece of tag wire tho clean the little holes in the nut, there may be a very small hole in the threaded area. Next remove the float and the float needle. There wil be a rubber seal at the bottom of the hole where the needle was, spray some carb cleaner in that hole. Put everything back and gently push the float up with you finger, the float should seat and be nearly level. Replace the float bowl and remove the vise grips. Your engine should now start.