Echo 280 problems

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Only thing that is likely to come loose would be the stop switch. Every thing else is captive and can not move unless the bolts fall out.

The thread evolved to a Stihl FS 70 R trimmer with bolts in the muffler broke off in the head. I too tend to believe that impact of some sort probably caused the bolts to be sheared off.

Lawnranger

Threads
The thread evolved to a Stihl FS 70 R trimmer with bolts in the muffler broke off in the head. I too tend to believe that impact of some sort probably caused the bolts to be sheared off.

The bolts could have loosened a bit and vibration can cause them to break. Happens on chainsaws from time to time.

Lawnranger

Threads
Back to your PAS-280. I have worked on countless 280 engines and just to let everyone know, the carburetor is, and I repeat, is adjustable. Echo has a four page procedure for adjusting the low and high speed needle jets. There are several special tools needed and of course the long procedure. If not followed exactly you will not get satisfactory results. Hopefully the dealer working on your engine follows the procedure exactly. Primary and secondary compression must also be verified. I have seen more out-of-adjustment carburetors right out of the factory lately and have been doing some warranty adjustments.

Just curious, does your serial number start with T445, T446 or T447?

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Back to your PAS-280. I have worked on countless 280 engines and just to let everyone know, the carburetor is, and I repeat, is adjustable. Echo has a four page procedure for adjusting the low and high speed needle jets. There are several special tools needed and of course the long procedure. If not followed exactly you will not get satisfactory results. Hopefully the dealer working on your engine follows the procedure exactly. Primary and secondary compression must also be verified. I have seen more out-of-adjustment carburetors right out of the factory lately and have been doing some warranty adjustments. Just curious, does your serial number start with T445, T446 or T447?

I Hope to get it out of the shop this week "again" and will post the serial #.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Back to your PAS-280. I have worked on countless 280 engines and just to let everyone know, the carburetor is, and I repeat, is adjustable. Echo has a four page procedure for adjusting the low and high speed needle jets. There are several special tools needed and of course the long procedure. If not followed exactly you will not get satisfactory results. Hopefully the dealer working on your engine follows the procedure exactly. Primary and secondary compression must also be verified. I have seen more out-of-adjustment carburetors right out of the factory lately and have been doing some warranty adjustments.

Just curious, does your serial number start with T445, T446 or T447?

A note to everyone if you do this at home yourself you will void warranty

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Back to your PAS-280. I have worked on countless 280 engines and just to let everyone know, the carburetor is, and I repeat, is adjustable. Echo has a four page procedure for adjusting the low and high speed needle jets. There are several special tools needed and of course the long procedure. If not followed exactly you will not get satisfactory results. Hopefully the dealer working on your engine follows the procedure exactly. Primary and secondary compression must also be verified. I have seen more out-of-adjustment carburetors right out of the factory lately and have been doing some warranty adjustments. Just curious, does your serial number start with T445, T446 or T447?

It is T446.

Lawnranger

Threads
It is T446.

Your serial number falls within the range of 280's that have a service bulletin written for the very problem you are experiencing. With all humility, ask your dealer if they logged in to the business portal and found the service bulletin and then followed the procedure EXACTLY the way it is written. Send me a PM if you want the service bulletin number.

To exotion: part of the procedure is cleaning the exhaust port/screen so if the dealer followed the procedure EXACTLY then that is a non-issue.

The problem is that some technicians will not take the time, especially on a new or newer machine, to remove a few screws/nuts/bolts to 100% verify everything. Echo did a great job providing a diagnostic procedure for engines that run poorly and if followed you will find the cause.

Here is a very important part of the procedure: For PAS-280 models you must have trimmer attachment 99944200540 installed for proper engine loading. If the dealer uses the wrong attachment they will not get satisfactory results. Just saying. String length is also a major factor. And the list goes on.

Get a detailed report of the work performed on your 280 and ask questions if it isn't written on the work order. Make sure you have the foam pre-filter on the outboard side of the main air filter. If the dealer simply replaced the carburetor without adjusting according to the procedure then that could be the source of the problem.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Your serial number falls within the range of 280's that have a service bulletin written for the very problem you are experiencing. With all humility, ask your dealer if they logged in to the business portal and found the service bulletin and then followed the procedure EXACTLY the way it is written. Send me a PM if you want the service bulletin number.

To exotion: part of the procedure is cleaning the exhaust port/screen so if the dealer followed the procedure EXACTLY then that is a non-issue.

The problem is that some technicians will not take the time, especially on a new or newer machine, to remove a few screws/nuts/bolts to 100% verify everything. Echo did a great job providing a diagnostic procedure for engines that run poorly and if followed you will find the cause.

Here is a very important part of the procedure: For PAS-280 models you must have trimmer attachment 99944200540 installed for proper engine loading. If the dealer uses the wrong attachment they will not get satisfactory results. Just saying. String length is also a major factor. And the list goes on.

Get a detailed report of the work performed on your 280 and ask questions if it isn't written on the work order. Make sure you have the foam pre-filter on the outboard side of the main air filter. If the dealer simply replaced the carburetor without adjusting according to the procedure then that could be the source of the problem.

Sorry I have not gotten back quicker but my dealer finally got my 280 straightened out. It now runs great and has for a while now.

upupandaway

Threads
"it just bogged... "

While mine was not a 280- it was a 2301 with the barrel carb, I tried replacing the whole carb adjusting mix screw wide open and it still did this. I then switched to a zama C1Q, and never looked back.

Just saying.