Nearly killed myself on my Raptor today (literally)

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
I nearly slid off into the 10' ditch on the edge of my property while mowing last week. Got a little too close to the edge in an attempt to cut some of the tall weeds. Luckily I got enough traction to turn out of it before the back tire went over. Needed a change of underwear after that one.:ashamed:

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Last year was mowing a very steep hill. The kind that make Smoke come out the exhaust. Lower rear tire fell in a hole. Leaned it up against a tree.
If was not for the tree being there I would have went over.

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
Last year was mowing a very steep hill. The kind that make Smoke come out the exhaust. Lower rear tire fell in a hole. Leaned it up against a tree.
If was not for the tree being there I would have went over.

It's moments like those that cause you to tense up and take a piece of the seat cushion with you when you get off the mower isn't it? :laughing: I thought I was going to have to pull some of the seat padding from my shorts last week.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
It's moments like those that cause you to tense up and take a piece of the seat cushion with you when you get off the mower isn't it? :laughing: I thought I was going to have to pull some of the seat padding from my shorts last week.

I have had a few close calls.
I don't know if it's because I turned 50 this year or if I am just getting smarter.
But I stay off of some hills I would have done a couple years ago.

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have had a few close calls.
I don't know if it's because I turned 50 this year or if I am just getting smarter.
But I stay off of some hills I would have done a couple years ago.

Probably a little of both. I know as I get older I tend to think about things a little more before just jumping in and taking the risk. I can definitely tell I'm not in my late 20s or even early 30s anymore. Physical exertion takes much longer to recover from than it used to. Even the little bit of running and throwing I do when coaching both of my daughters in softball hurts for several days after. Still love getting out there with them though.:smile: having kids has also made me be a little more cautious. I won't be getting as close to that ditch again.

gainestruk

Threads
Back in about 2001 I had a yard machine 17.5 hp 42" cut, it had mtd vari drive, had almost finished yard and was backing up, the cotter key came out of clutch/brake peddle where rod goes into vari drive, rod fell out and it went full speed backwards.

Now here is where I lost all common sense, instead of simply turning key off to shut it down I reached down to put it in neutral, but instead I popped it into forward.
The little lawn tractor went straight up and over on top of me, engine died then I smelled gas as it was pouring all over me.

Luckily it didn't catch fire, it took me several minutes to get out from under mower.
It didn't hurt me, but after I got it put back together from then on I worried the rod would fall out again.
I was very lucky that day, it was middle of week I was home alone and all neighbors were at work, I had phone with me but it fell out of shirt pocket and I couldn't reach it :confused2:

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Back in about 2001 I had a yard machine 17.5 hp 42" cut, it had mtd vari drive, had almost finished yard and was backing up, the cotter key came out of clutch/brake peddle where rod goes into vari drive, rod fell out and it went full speed backwards. Now here is where I lost all common sense, instead of simply turning key off to shut it down I reached down to put it in neutral, but instead I popped it into forward. The little lawn tractor went straight up and over on top of me, engine died then I smelled gas as it was pouring all over me. Luckily it didn't catch fire, it took me several minutes to get out from under mower. It didn't hurt me, but after I got it put back together from then on I worried the rod would fall out again. I was very lucky that day, it was middle of week I was home alone and all neighbors were at work, I had phone with me but it fell out of shirt pocket and I couldn't reach it :confused2:

Glad you are ok.
Would have made a good video.
Them dang rods always do that.