Nearly killed myself on my Raptor today (literally)

RaptorSDer

Threads
So a friend of mine has a small 5 X 8 single axis utility trailer and he brought it over to load up my Raptor (wanted to try it out on his lawn). It loaded up with no issues so we headed over to his house to start mowing. Unbeknownst to me, while I was climbing on the mower (still on the trailer) he un-latched the trailer from the truck while I was starting the mower. As I began backing up, the front of the trailer came off the tongue and once the back hit the ground me and the mower tipped backwards and I was looking almost straight up. I'd guess if it were to have tipped a few more inches i would have had a nice shiny 600+ lb.mower on top of me. Luckily, it fell forward.

It's amazing how a couple of mental errors can turn a seemingly safe and simple act into a potentially life threatening one. I most definitely learned a few lessons and so did my friend.

Just wanted to get that off my chest (no, not the mower) :/

KrashnKraka

Threads
So a friend of mine has a small 5 X 8 single axis utility trailer and he brought it over to load up my Raptor (wanted to try it out on his lawn). It loaded up with no issues so we headed over to his house to start mowing. Unbeknownst to me, while I was climbing on the mower (still on the trailer) he un-latched the trailer from the truck while I was starting the mower. As I began backing up, the front of the trailer came off the tongue and once the back hit the ground me and the mower tipped backwards and I was looking almost straight up. I'd guess if it were to have tipped a few more inches i would have had a nice shiny 600+ lb.mower on top of me. Luckily, it fell forward.

It's amazing how a couple of mental errors can turn a seemingly safe and simple act into a potentially life threatening one. I most definitely learned a few lessons and so did my friend.

...pix please?
Tell us those little wheels at the rear kicked in...neverrrr used them meselv, like.
Be nice to know they work ;-)

Lawn Addict
Threads
Wow !! That could have been a real bad scene fast. Bet that NEVER happens again.

Some of my life lessons I remember best are the hard ones.

Luana

Threads
Glad you are okay but why was your friend disconnecting the trailer from the tow vehicle?

RaptorSDer

Threads
Glad you are okay but why was your friend disconnecting the trailer from the tow vehicle?

All he kept saying was "I don't know what I was thinking". Very intelligent guy but he was just on autopilot I suppose.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

Mental errors and being hard headed can cost you big time if your running equipment. My son-in-law had a Gravely Pro turn 148 flip over on him while trying to load it on a trailer. Luckily he was hurt and the grandsons were there to get the machine off of him.

kraky

Threads
Not too far from here a dealer lost an employee to a zero turn w/steering wheel. He lost control on top of an open trailer and it fell on him. Sad thing is he thought he was beat up but OK....he had broken a major artorie inside and died a short while later. Morbid storie but if it keeps people thinking OK to tell.
When a person is loading its easy to be thinking of where your going next and when unloading you're excited about getting to work...both dangerous times.

DaveTN

Threads
Another Unloading Tragedy: The owner of "Deal's Small Engines" in Clinton, TN got killed
earlier this year while unloading some big mowers in crates from a tractor trailer. They
had a long, wide strap with a hook on it attached to the pallet pulling it backwards off
the trailer with a Bobcat. Somehow the hook let go and struck Mr. Deal in the chest
killing him instantly! I don't know who was driving the Bobcat or where the guy was standing
when he got killed. I'm sure they've unloaded thousands of mowers and pallets and
crates off all kinds off trucks and trailers before. But all it takes is ONE screw up and you
pay the price. It could just as easily have struck someone in the head. I buy a lot of parts out
there and was shocked to hear of it.

RetiredGuns

Threads
I got a taste of looking straight up myself when I was being "Dumb" and gunned my Raptor on a slightly inclined cement driveway. That thing stood straight up and I am glad I had just installed the muffler guard. Needed some touch up paint afterwards. It could have flipped over straight on top of me. Neighbor has to remind me every time I see him.

KrashnKraka

Threads
I got a taste of looking straight up myself when I was being "Dumb" and gunned my Raptor on a slightly inclined cement driveway. That thing stood straight up and I am glad I had just installed the muffler guard. Needed some touch up paint afterwards. It could have flipped over straight on top of me. Neighbor has to remind me every time I see him.

So your ride has no NT Tip0ver wheels at the rear, on frame....?