Kohler 15.5hp Gas in oil.

onan38

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,Everyone first time poster. I have a Craftsman with a Kohler 15.5 Model # cv15s. Last year at the end of the mowing season i noticed when i choked the mower i was getting gas out of the muffler and a little smoke which cleared up quickly after starting. This year before the mowing season changing the oil it had alot of gas mixed with the oil. It has a Walbro carb So i took the bowl off and cleaned and took float and needle valve out and also cleaned. (noticed the needle had a red rubbery tip.) So i went to local repair shop to get a carb repair kit Craftsman 12-757-03s .The guy at the repair shop told me that leaving gas in the carb year round with todays ethanol gas probably damaged the carb and it would need a new one plus it would need the head gasket changed due to the gas getting in with the oil or it would blow in the future. Question is does it need a new carb and head gasket? Any help would be appreciated.

sean'sengines

Threads
A head gasket is not a big job, and I doubt that you'll need a new one anyway. The carburetor will not need to be totally replaced, I keep gas in my carbs year round, but I do put some of that blue stabilizer in my gas. You should just clean out the jets, down where the needle closes off the valve, and the bowl, and you'll be back in business. Just put in new oil and gas (add stabilizer) and you're good to go. :)

jross

Threads
If there is room, installing a $5.00 shut off valve in the fuel line will insure it doesn't happen again. Of course one has to remember to close it when done using the machine.

wildbill

Threads
First off, whomever told you that a new carb and head gasket was needed was likely a parts changer and not a mechanic with your financial welfare in mind.

A month ago I was repairing a 42" Murray that had been sitting for 2 years. The first thing I did was to remove the plug to see if it had a spark. SURPRISE!!! Gas gushed out of the spark plug hole! There was even more when I removed the oil drain plug! The reason, the needle on the carb float was stuck open. So, when the owner poured in a tank of gas, it just kept going and flooded into the engine.

A new carb is 99% of the time NOT needed. And, the head gasket will not be a problem either.

Your carb just needs a real good cleaning, all the pieces. The only moving part is the float and the float needle. Use some carb cleaner, about $4 at NAPA.

fredhargis

Threads
I had that same problem quite some years ago with a Briggs. All I did was fix the carb (float was sticking open) and ran the dang thing another 4 years with no problems. I did put a fuel shutoff in the line for winter storage, as someone mentioned.

greggn

Threads
Also running with non-ethanol premium gas helps a lot.

Lawnranger

Threads
Also running with non-ethanol premium gas helps a lot.

This is very true but unfortunately non-ethanol fuel is not available in most cities. Where do you find non-ethanol fuel?

wildbill

Threads
The ethanol in gas will go bad in a couple months making for some crappy deposits in the carburetor. However, if you add an appropriate amount of (my favorite) Sta-Bil in your gas supply can, everything will be fine. Then, when the mower sits for a period of time, not longer than 3-4 months, the gas left in the mower will perform fine.

At the end of the mowing season, I put Sta-Bil in my mower and run it for a while. In April, it fires right up. I do the same thing with my cruiser and my outboard with success. I pour the extra gas left over in my gas can into my vehicle.

onan38

Forum Newbie
Threads
I did have to take the mower for repairs last season,The carb was shot and had gas in with the oil.So my mower guy put a new carb on and had to replace the head gasket,he told me since gas got in with the oil that it would soon blow the head gasket i also had him put a cutoff valve in the gas line.That was the 12th season for the mower.So far this 13 season its running great and no problems but when checking the oil before i start it now i always smell it for gas smell before i start it.Guess i'm paranoid now. LOL!

wildbill

Threads
Just wondering, how much was the carb and what did your guy charge for the labor?