Ready to throw in towel Proulan Pro clicks and won't start.

gingerd

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Ready to throw in towel Proulan Pro clicks and won't start.
Here is the deal: 3-4 years ago, it started not to crank unless you gave the rotor an extra hand. Sat for 1 year unused. Bought a solenoid, and replaced starter spring and plastic parts and seemed to work fine for a while. Started having same problem this year after a few cuts. Once you turned ignition key the starter would engage but stop. Adjusted carburetor, adjusted valves, replaced starter, checked battery, replaced spark plug, disengaged the seat switch and clutch switch has continuity. Ignition switch checked and has continuity. Even bought a 2nd solenoid and installed this today. When you turn starter switch, it just clicks. Traced ground wire and all appears to be in order and the wires to starter appear good. Tested from magneto to spark plug but no fire. WHAT IS WRONG WITH IS MACHINE!

I am counting on someone to provide me the magic bullet.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
No magic bullet. Loosing amperage to starter it sounds like to me. Get yourself a wiring diagram, multi volt meter, and start tracing out the starter circuit. You did check all your connections and battery cables?

gingerd

Forum Newbie
Threads
Here is the deal: 3-4 years ago, it started not to crank unless you gave the rotor an extra hand. Sat for 1 year unused. Bought a solenoid, and replaced starter spring and plastic parts and seemed to work fine for a while. Started having same problem this year after a few cuts. Once you turned ignition key the starter would engage but stop. Adjusted carburetor, adjusted valves, replaced starter, checked battery, replaced spark plug, disengaged the seat switch and clutch switch has continuity. Ignition switch checked and has continuity. Even bought a 2nd solenoid and installed this today. When you turn starter switch, it just clicks. Traced ground wire and all appears to be in order and the wires to starter appear good. Tested from magneto to spark plug but no fire. WHAT IS WRONG WITH IS MACHINE!

I am counting on someone to provide me the magic bullet.

Thanks for your input. Yes the battery cables appear good but will double check.

Mikel1

Threads
How did you check the battery?

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would say that your valves are not adjusted correctly or the decompressor on the end of the camshaft is broken.

What happens if you take out the spark plug and turn the engine over with the key?

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
If this ever happens to anyone you know I'd take the approximately 200 you spent in vain, rather than the china economy.

You can eliminate costly time consuming repairs along with a lot of aggravation by connecting the starter directly to a known good battery with jumper cables. Next step is, with that same known to be good battery, allow the current to test the solenoid function. For test purposes this bypasses all that junky crap designed into lawn tractors and mowers.

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
Welcome to the forum. :welcome:

I'm going to move your thread over to the Proulan section to see if we can get you some additional advice.