Removing mower blades

RustyBoy

Threads
I think the torque stick is the best idea. How long is your torque stick? Bought a 120 ft. lbs. 1/2" drive that is 8 1/2" with shallow socket attached. Not enough room under my mower for my impact wrench with jack at max height. I'm using an electric impact driver that has a max torque of 235 lbs. Any suggestions?

Tomster

Threads
I have literally changed the blades (new or re-sparpened) on my Raptor 15-20 times in the 2 years I've owned it and have used an impact wrench every time. I am pretty mechanically inclined and understand the force that a light duty impact wrench can put on a bolt and threads. There is sufficient bolt length and the threads are coarse enough that unless you hammer it for an extended amount of time you will not weaken the threads. Also, Harbor Freight sells for $99.99 a mower lift that works great on my Raptor 54. This lift allows access to the underside of the deck so that you can clean the deck or easily change the blades, no matter which way you choose. Here is the link: http://www.harborfreight.com/high-lift-riding-lawn-mower-atv-lift-60395.html

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I think the torque stick is the best idea. How long is your torque stick? Bought a 120 ft. lbs. 1/2" drive that is 8 1/2" with shallow socket attached. Not enough room under my mower for my impact wrench with jack at max height. I'm using an electric impact driver that has a max torque of 235 lbs. Any suggestions?
Remove and run them back with your impact until the nut touches then do a final torque by hand using the by guess and by golly method or use a torque wrench until the by guess and by golly comes with experience.

Those completing the torque with the impact will eventually be replacing the shaft just as the automotive tire changer replaces lug bolts for the irate customer.

I torqued enough Waukesha head bolts ( 96 / engine ) to 600 ft. lbs. with a 4' torque wrench I could do it in my sleep without a torque setting in my younger days and maybe a dozen now as an old man.:laughing:

RhettWS

Threads
I bought this little digital torque wrench adapter off of Amazon (ACDelco ARM602-4 1/2" Digital Torque). Pretty cool little widgit. You set the torque value you want, then the unit squawks when you reach the value. I like it because it is small. I just attach it to a 1/2" ratchet or breaker bar and away I go. Below is a link to it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004VYURT0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tomster, I like your Avatar. Looks like a really nice Jack Crevalle. Not worth a damn to eat but really fun to catch.

kraky

Threads
That's a pretty neat tool lots of good reviews. I'm not sure how tight blades have to be to keep them from spinning on their own but after they've been installed it seems to me they get Tighter and Tighter with use. So tight an electric impact wrench is my tool for getting them off. The extension cord type impact wrenches are pretty cheap nowadays I think you can pick them up for $30 to $40

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
What's a 1" box wrench worth on a off set wrench? Really not much until I welded a 3/4" socket in it to use on my Murray and the 7/8" end does the LA-135 JD. Mine don't need 150 ft. lbs. of torque, about 60 gets it.

Attachments

• mower blade wrench welded- 9-7-08.jpg
    mower blade wrench welded- 9-7-08.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 8

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I bought this little digital torque wrench adapter off of Amazon (ACDelco ARM602-4 1/2" Digital Torque). Pretty cool little widgit. You set the torque value you want, then the unit squawks when you reach the value. I like it because it is small. I just attach it to a 1/2" ratchet or breaker bar and away I go. Below is a link to it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004VYURT0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tomster, I like your Avatar. Looks like a really nice Jack Crevalle. Not worth a damn to eat but really fun to catch.

Come on Rhett, they can be curried, sewed, ground & made into fish balls with a little chilli served with sour cream & cummin
There are a lot of ways to enjoy fish that don't make a good steak or bake.

RhettWS

Threads
Come on Rhett, they can be curried, sewed, ground & made into fish balls with a little chilli served with sour cream & cummin
There are a lot of ways to enjoy fish that don't make a good steak or bake.

Bert, you and I will have a thrown down over that one. :laughing: Crevalle go back in the water unless you don't know any better or are starving. Tree bark and shoe tongues can be eaten too with the ingredients you list above. Maybe I'll post my recipe for Choupique (Bowfin). Guaranteed to make a good meal out of the nastiest fish.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
We run three Scag Tiger Cat mowers. We normally change the blades every morning and many times during the middle of the day. WE ALWAYS use a cordless impact. We do not have any problems with doing if that way.