raptor sd54 air and oil filter question....

kraky

Threads
Just picked up a used one w/75 hours on it. Is the air filter supposed to be foam wrapped or just a bare cartridge?
What oil filters are you using...looks bigger than the one on my deeres 17 HP Kawasaki. Actually I'm thinking it could be the same as kohler and the Briggs vanguard run?

turboawd

Threads
on my 2015 raptor sd 54, my filter didnt come with the foam pre-filter. i will be adding one to mine. without it, the filter pleats get a lot of grass and dust buildup and is harder to clean.
the oil filter part number on my kawasaki FR691V is 49065-7007, which i found available at home depot.
and according to the kawasaki manual, sae30, 10w-30, or 10w40 is the recommended oil. my dealer said that 20w-50 is recommended now. i emailed hustler and they said that the thicker oil will be more resistant to oil consumption. plus in hot weather i feel it provides better protection.
the little plastic expansion tank for the hydraulic drives under the seat takes 20w-50 also. its not suppose to be full. there is a mark on the side that states 'cold level'.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just picked up a used one w/75 hours on it. Is the air filter supposed to be foam wrapped or just a bare cartridge?
What oil filters are you using...looks bigger than the one on my deeres 17 HP Kawasaki. Actually I'm thinking it could be the same as kohler and the Briggs vanguard run?

The air filter is supposed to have a foam pre-filter. The Kawasaki FR and FS all run the foam filters. The oil filter is the 49065-7007 on the FR series as was previously stated, it's also the same for the FS and FX series engines. The recommended oils to run are in the engine manual and if you didn't get the manual you can down load it / PDF on there Kaw-Power site for your engine. The recommended oils are the SAE 40w, 30w, 10w30 or 10w40 or for colder areas a 5w20 can be used. It will also state that using the multi viscosity oils can increase oil consumption. I run the 10w30 in both the FS and FX engines and never had any issues with oil consumption. The 20w50 is the oil for the drive units on your mower not the engine.

Last edited:

KrashnKraka

Threads
on my 2015 raptor sd 54, my filter didnt come with the foam pre-filter. i will be adding one to mine. without it, the filter pleats get a lot of grass and dust buildup and is harder to clean.
Step carefully... air filters on these Kawa engines are mission critical.
I am hearing whispers kawasaki has moved away from FR series, abandoning those
pleated filters. More when I have confirmation.
the oil filter part number on my kawasaki FR691V is 49065-7007, which i found available at home depot.
and according to the kawasaki manual, sae30, 10w-30, or 10w40 is the recommended oil. my dealer said that 20w-50 is recommended now. i emailed hustler and they said that the thicker oil will be more resistant to oil consumption. plus in hot weather i feel it provides better protection.
Interesting. Two dealers I have spoken with in recent times say different.

There is waaaay too much dissension over oils in ZTR's, never mind oils per se!
There is a thread running with temps posted using differing engine oils.
If any interest in the subject I suggest you follow it.

the little plastic expansion tank for the hydraulic drives under the seat takes 20w-50 also. its not suppose to be full. there is a mark on the side that states 'cold level'.
Another area I am quizzing...but one thing at a time, hey ;)

KK

kraky

Threads
I found a precleaner foam on eBay.....got it coming.
Will decide on original kaw engine filter or auto equiv.....probably stick w/OEM while in warranty.
Kinda shocked to see kaw engine manual says oil changes OK every 100 hrs...hustler manual says 40.
Hydro gear says zt2800 oil changes at 400 hours...hustler says 200. Me thinks hustler likes generating dealer revenue....and probably keeps their reputation strong w/maintenance at 1/2 intervals.
Off topic a little but man what a sad hitch they put on this thing. Would like to pull my 300# lawn roller a few times a year but that thing is two notches above toilet paper. Maybe the monster tires will smooth me out over time...lol!

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Will decide on original kaw engine filter or auto equiv.....probably stick w/OEM while in warranty.
Kinda shocked to see kaw engine manual says oil changes OK every 100 hrs...hustler manual says 40.
Hydro gear says zt2800 oil changes at 400 hours...hustler says 200. Me thinks hustler likes generating dealer revenue....and probably keeps their reputation strong w/maintenance at 1/2 intervals.
Off topic a little but man what a sad hitch they put on this thing. Would like to pull my 300# lawn roller a few times a year but that thing is two notches above toilet paper. Maybe the monster tires will smooth me out over time...lol!

The Foam Filter you should be able to pick up at the dealer anytime. The oil filter the same, they should keep them both in stock. As far as the oil changing frequencies go you can determine that by how the mower is being used. I change engine oil and filter every 50 hours. The drives on mine get changes every 400hrs on the ztr and every 500hrs on the stander and depending on the oil being used could be as low as every 250 hours. If you do what the manual says you'll never go wrong.

KrashnKraka

Threads
Mirrors my experience exactly.
Engine guy says anything up to 100 with filter at 300 depending on model.
Mower guy says 20 with filter at 100. Engine guy says mower guy is nuts.
Neither account for low load hours like I have read where commercial guys are
driving miles in any day between jobs.

Hydro gear says zt2800 oil changes at 400 hours...hustler says 200.
Not forgetting the contradictions in oil type.
Some use engine oil where others say a high grade hydrallic oil is required.

Or such an important area of unit operation there sure is loads of ambiguity
come contradiction in service routes for the ZTR :/

KK