Raptor sd 54 kaw engine flywheel issues?

kraky

Threads
A nice looking 2014 raptor sd54 showed up on Craigslist about 80 miles away. Guy has 73 hours on it and flex forks. I can get it for $3250 so it saves a grand plus sales tax. Unit looks really clean and i can tell by the background of the pics the guy is fussy w/everything.
But...he said it had a vibration and his dealer said there were some flywheel issues w/some of the engines and its just been replaced under warranty. So..the guy sounds honest...its still in warranty....but it has me wondering a bit. If someone here says yup I've heard of that I'd feel OK and buy it.
Another question if anyone knows.....does hustler cover the kaw engine or might I have to find a Kawasaki engine dealer if it isn't quite right?

Last edited:

KrashnKraka

Threads
A nice looking 2014 raptor sd54 showed up on Craigslist about 80 miles away. Guy has 73 hours on it and flex forks. I can get it for $3250 so it saves a grand plus sales tax. Unit looks really clean and i can tell by the background of the pics the guy is fussy w/everything.
But...he said it had a vibration and his dealer said there were some flywheel issues w/some of the engines and its just been replaced under warranty. So..the guy sounds honest...its still in warranty....but it has me wondering a bit. If someone here says yup I've heard of that I'd feel OK and buy it.
Another question if anyone knows.....does hustler cover the law engine or might I have to find a Kawasaki engine dealer if it isn't quite right?

I have mine own Kawa story so I shall watch on with interest.

KK

turboawd

Threads
well, the raptor sd has a 3 year/300 hour warranty. it might not transfer, but just make a deal with the seller that if it ever breaks down, that you'd be taking it in to the dealer under his name.

flightco

Threads
Another question if anyone knows.....does hustler cover the kaw engine or might I have to find a Kawasaki engine dealer if it isn't quite right?

The list price for a new one is 3999 less the 10% lowes coupon. Less than 400 bucks more for a brand new unit.

kraky

Threads
To make things a little more clear...the flywheel on the unit im looking at was changed not the engine.

I'm "old school" and don't want to buy "box store". I might feel different if todays stuff was as good as my lt180 deere tractor. 12 yrs old 230 hours...everything original. Never tossed a belt...all belts still look great...blades get sharpened 2x's a year and look like they'll go 12 more cause they just need a "touch" on the grinder. Not a pulley or brg out anywhere...no strange vibrations. I set the tractor to carry the deck off the ground...just touching the high spots. Mows sweet.
Funny thing is my tractor was considered "junk" compared to the older deeres.
Really makes me scratch my head when I read about today's "builds". Maybe the difference was the internet didn't have so many "stories" years ago to scare buyers?

flightco

Threads
To make things a little more clear...the flywheel on the unit im looking at was changed not the engine.

I'm "old school" and don't want to buy "box store". I might feel different if todays stuff was as good as my lt180 deere tractor. 12 yrs old 230 hours...everything original. Never tossed a belt...all belts still look great...blades get sharpened 2x's a year and look like they'll go 12 more cause they just need a "touch" on the grinder. Not a pulley or brg out anywhere...no strange vibrations. I set the tractor to carry the deck off the ground...just touching the high spots. Mows sweet.
Funny thing is my tractor was considered "junk" compared to the older deeres.
Really makes me scratch my head when I read about today's "builds". Maybe the difference was the internet didn't have so many "stories" years ago to scare buyers?

Couple thoughts; all hustler dealers are under contract to service Hustler mowers, no matter where they were purchased. If they don't or give you bad service, contact Hustler. Also, do you think you will get better service buying a used mower from an individual rather than a box store.

I purchased my 54 SD through a dealer and he was happy to extend to me the 10% lowes discount.

RaptorSDer

Threads
I bought mine from a dealer but out of curiosity asked him if he services units bought from box stores. He said he does and Hustler kicks in an extra 50 bucks when he does it. That said, he claimed those units get pushed to the back of his schedule as his customers are his priority.

kraky

Threads
So does hustler pay to fix the engine? Some brands of mowers the manufacturer says you need to take the engine problem to an "authorized" engine distributor. I know Deere pays the dealer to work on everything in their machine. Many years ago bolens paid only for what they manufactured.
I'm hoping the dealer in my area who is still 22 miles away will be happier I bought a used machine than a new one somewhere else. Plus I've been waiting for him to get some new ones in for over a month.

flightco

Threads
So does hustler pay to fix the engine? Some brands of mowers the manufacturer says you need to take the engine problem to an "authorized" engine distributor. I know Deere pays the dealer to work on everything in their machine. Many years ago bolens paid only for what they manufactured.
I'm hoping the dealer in my area who is still 22 miles away will be happier I bought a used machine than a new one somewhere else. Plus I've been waiting for him to get some new ones in for over a month.

I find it amusing that so many people on this board seem very self sufficient and mechanical ( a general statement, not directed at you)yet the biggest concern is if the dealer will work on their mower for them. Aside from the motor which would be worked on by Kaw and the hydros (which, up to the point of a commercial unit, are probably cheaper to replace than repair) the mower is a pretty basic piece of machinery and from some of the complaints here a lot of the dealers are probably no better at fixing the problems anyway. I can see the concern if you are a commercial enterprise and need quick turn around but for a homeowner, I don't see the need for worry.

Is there anybody here who purchased a Hustler from Lowes or HD who's dealer took an unreasonably long time to repair the mower?

kraky

Threads
I can do the basic maintenance myself but am not a "mechanic". And i do know people that seem to be able to take most anything apart and get it back together good as...or better...than new. I know from years working sales at a jd dealership that often the most basic looking repair can be caused by something "down the line". I don't mind spending a few dollars at a place that has guys that know what to look for and might spot my next problem before it costs alot of money....that is....if the place is honest and the guys in the shop are truly experienced. Apparently even hustler had trouble getting pulley alignments right at the factory. (Among other raptor troubles) If you ever saw the funky factory pulley aligments on my Deere deck you'd swear a belt couldn't last an hour.....yet mine are original and looking great at 230 hours. So..as simple as a lawn mower should be sometimes it just isnt.....maybe that's why I was in sales....not service. The Deere dealership i worked at did $2 million in lawn and garden and got a 95% approval rating from customer surveys...one of the highest in our multi state region so I guess we fit the bill.