Using a push Reel Mower - What I've learned

bt3

Threads
Hey gents.

I have two powered mowers (in Avatar) but I have also owned a Scott's 20" push reel mower for about 10 years. I try and mow off and on with it from late mid June to until the leaves drop with the Reel mower when I can. Surprisingly, if you set it up correctly and the conditions are right, you reely (pun intended) can do a decent job on lawns that are much larger than your typical small city lot. There are a few things I have learned about them:

1.) Don't let your grass get too tall. The scissors action of the blades will not cut tall grass, or at least, won't cut it well.
2.) Very thick grass may need to be gone over twice to get it under control.
3.) Crabgrass is a bear to cut with a push reel mower. You can cut it, but it's not easy. It feels like the mower is in quicksand.
4.) Twigs are a genuine pain in the butt. A small twig on your lawn seems to find the reels like a homing pigeon and will stop a reel mower faster than you can say "HALT!"
5.) They need very little maintenance. Just a quick cleaning, some grease and blade adjustment once a month or so to make sure all blades are hitting the cutting plate properly.
6.) They do cut in dew or wet grass, but you may not get quite as clean a cut as when on dry grass.
7.) Most weeds will remain behind and will not get cut.
8.) You can avoid wearing any hearing protection, or if you wish, your earbuds and your ipod for tunes while cutting.
9.) Your neighbors will not know you are cutting the lawn, so you can cut in early AM or when they are out back BBQing without bothering anyone.
10.) Some passers-by will stop and say, "Wow, an old fashioned mower. I didn't know that they still making those!"
11.) Trim is a bit of a pain. You have to exercise some patience with cutting around trees and bushes and landscaping. Sometimes you need a bit of "Back and Forth" to get it cut properly.
12.) They do NOT mulch at all, so your clippings just fall behind the mower or on your feet or in a catch bagger. Yet unlike rotary mowers, there is no clumping of grass clippings even with taller grass.
13.) You probably won't miss gassing or changing the oil or hard starting or the vibration of a rotary mower. You will miss the easy trimming or weed cutting.
14.) You have to "Overlap" your mowing rows. Unlike rotary mowers, the blade does not extend beyond the wheels, so you have to do a few inches of overlap on the wheel marks in your lawn. A 20" mower give you about an 18" cut with overlap.
15.) If you are not moving forward, the blades are not spinning, so sometimes you have to get a short running-start before you get to the area you want cut.

I honestly could not do 100 percent without a power mower, especially in the spring or when leaves are dropping, but otherwise, it's quite amazing what you can o with a simple push reel mower. And the gas and oil cost savings is nice. Plus you don't smell like you have been "mowing the lawn" with a gas mower when you come in. You are just sweaty and smell like cut grass. ;)

I only paid about $79 for mine at Home Depot 10 years ago. They have gone up a bit since then. Amazon is selling them for about $135. Since mine has lasted 10 years and still looks and operates like new, that's not a bad deal.

Attachments

• 41KBV57FX8L.jpg
    41KBV57FX8L.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 33

lewb

Threads
I think it depends on how big of a lawn or elevation changes on using a push reel mower. I am guessing it would take me 4 hours to push my lawn that way. Some farmers still use a team of horses to plow and plant their crops.

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey gents.

I have two powered mowers (in Avatar) but I have also owned a Scott's 20" push reel mower for about 10 years. I try and mow off and on with it from late mid June to until the leaves drop with the Reel mower when I can. Surprisingly, if you set it up correctly and the conditions are right, you reely (pun intended) can do a decent job on lawns that are much larger than your typical small city lot. There are a few things I have learned about them:

1.) Don't let your grass get too tall. The scissors action of the blades will not cut tall grass, or at least, won't cut it well.
2.) Very thick grass may need to be gone over twice to get it under control.
3.) Crabgrass is a bear to cut with a push reel mower. You can cut it, but it's not easy. It feels like the mower is in quicksand.
4.) Twigs are a genuine pain in the butt. A small twig on your lawn seems to find the reels like a homing pigeon and will stop a reel mower faster than you can say "HALT!"
5.) They need very little maintenance. Just a quick cleaning, some grease and blade adjustment once a month or so to make sure all blades are hitting the cutting plate properly.
6.) They do cut in dew or wet grass, but you may not get quite as clean a cut as when on dry grass.
7.) Most weeds will remain behind and will not get cut.
8.) You can avoid wearing any hearing protection, or if you wish, your earbuds and your ipod for tunes while cutting.
9.) Your neighbors will not know you are cutting the lawn, so you can cut in early AM or when they are out back BBQing without bothering anyone.
10.) Some passers-by will stop and say, "Wow, an old fashioned mower. I didn't know that they still making those!"
11.) Trim is a bit of a pain. You have to exercise some patience with cutting around trees and bushes and landscaping. Sometimes you need a bit of "Back and Forth" to get it cut properly.
12.) They do NOT mulch at all, so your clippings just fall behind the mower or on your feet or in a catch bagger. Yet unlike rotary mowers, there is no clumping of grass clippings even with taller grass.
13.) You probably won't miss gassing or changing the oil or hard starting or the vibration of a rotary mower. You will miss the easy trimming or weed cutting.
14.) You have to "Overlap" your mowing rows. Unlike rotary mowers, the blade does not extend beyond the wheels, so you have to do a few inches of overlap on the wheel marks in your lawn. A 20" mower give you about an 18" cut with overlap.
15.) If you are not moving forward, the blades are not spinning, so sometimes you have to get a short running-start before you get to the area you want cut.

I honestly could not do 100 percent without a power mower, especially in the spring or when leaves are dropping, but otherwise, it's quite amazing what you can o with a simple push reel mower. And the gas and oil cost savings is nice. Plus you don't smell like you have been "mowing the lawn" with a gas mower when you come in. You are just sweaty and smell like cut grass. ;)

I only paid about $79 for mine at Home Depot 10 years ago. They have gone up a bit since then. Amazon is selling them for about $135. Since mine has lasted 10 years and still looks and operates like new, that's not a bad deal.

At least you don't sound like some environmental wacko who wants to ban all gas powered lawn mowers.
When we cleaned up at my granddad's there was a gas powered reel mower. It was sitting outside and had bad wheels. I started to get it as a memento, as I did use a push reel mower there as a kid. I regret I did not.
I have too much lawn and not enough time for anything but a riding mower now.

bt3

Threads
Heck no, I love my power mowers. Hey, I even have an EVIL 2 stroke Lawnboy! :)

I'm not saying anyone has to go reel mower, I'm just pointing out what I learned by using one.

The property I mow with mine is about 1 acre. It takes me about 15 minutes longer with the Reel Mower, mostly because of trim and a few places where the grass just grows like wildfire and I have to go over that area twice.

It really is nice to be able to listen to tunes while I mow, without having to use ear protection. But if it's not for you, then it's not for you. Lord knows I use my power mowers extensively too. Especially when the leaves fall. My Snapper HiVac really chops them up with the Ninja blade.

Bob E

Threads
I would also add sharpening a reel mower is more difficult than a rotary mower, and gang reels don't like bumpy yards. You have to go real slow or they tend to bounce and skip a beat.
I once saw a picture of a powered reel mower with a sickle bar in front of the reel, I bet that would be a good improvement.

bt3

Threads
Great idea for the Sickle Bar.

I don't sharpen my reel blades. The cutting blade does most of the work (bottom plate), and if you have the mower properly set-up, it is self-sharpening. Of course, if you buy a used one that is duller than a stone, you will have to sharpen both the cutting blade and the reels. There are many Youtube vids on how to properly do this.

I test the reels with the cutting blade once every month with a sheet of paper and make sure each reel cuts the paper on all parts of the blade contact. This assures you have it set up right and it will cut well and stay sharp just from the scissors action.

Yes, there are negatives to any reel mowers, even powered reel mowers. My dad had an old REO gas powered reel mower from the 50's and it cut the lawn beautifully, but keeping it tuned up and cutting well was a PITA. Rotary mowers are just easy. Unless you have a tiny city lot. Then I'd only have a push reel. My lots are big, and on the verge of being too big for any push mower, let alone an unpowered reel mower. But I look at it as a free workout. One less day I have to spend in the gym. ;) But I sometimes wish I had never sold my lawn tractor!

Bob E

Threads
I'm only mowing three quarters of an acre these days and I've thought about giving up my lawn tractor. I could also use the exercise, the extra space in the shed, and I often see good push mower going for peanuts on my local craigslist.
But being able to mow and trim my whole place in about an hour is pretty nice.

KrashnKraka

Threads
IF I could add to the OP's learning curve the cut on reel mowers
preserves the turf like no other. They are used exclusively on
golf courses, race tracks, cricket pitches and lawn bowls greens
for that sole reason.
Also they are sharpened with abrading stones, requiring a patient
skill and a true eye.

Then there is there is the scythe....
scythe - Google Search

My earliest memory of mowing is Father upgrading to the timber framed
reel mower when he went "commercial" in taking on the two neighbours.
The lawns were perfect :thumbsup:

bt3

Threads
Yes, I have always read that Reel Mowers are the best cut and the healthiest cut for your lawn. My Father had a 50's REO Gas Reel Mower.

I have always wanted a powered Reel Mower, but never got around to it. Plus, I have a wooded lot and the twigs are a real problem for Reel Mowers. As I posted, they can really stop a Reel dead in it's tracks. But a Power Reel is different. That would cut through twigs.

Pushing a Reel Mower is a different experience on mowing your lawn. With my home footprint, trees and landscaping taken out of the equation, I've probably got 3/4 of an Acre to mow. It's tough with a reel mower. But the exercise is truly great. It does save me a trip to the Gym on cutting days.

KrashnKraka

Threads
Pushing a Reel Mower is a different experience on mowing your lawn. With my home footprint, trees and landscaping taken out of the equation, I've probably got 3/4 of an Acre to mow. It's tough with a reel mower. But the exercise is truly great. It does save me a trip to the Gym on cutting days.

Elsewhere I have seen pix of lawns to a streetscape (USA) which would suit a
reelmower - doing a far improved job/finish. The "lawnboy" is using a 50" ZTR!
It would cost more to get it off the trailer than time spent mowing.
With DC motor technology improving every other week it wont be long
before we see electric reel mowers which work to a price point.

Be a cottage industry opening up supplying rotor sharpening :)

KK