Repairs Bad hydrostatic drive.

platojoe

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi folks. I'm new to your group. I just recently found out that there is an online forum dedicated to grasshopper mowers. I have a model 618c. A front mounted mower with a 54" deck. Recently the right side hydro drive started to die. It will work up to a point, but I have to manipulate the left side to get let the right side to catch up. I think it may have something to do with the valve system in the unit. the oil is fairly clean and dosen't smell. The machine's time shows 250 hours, but I think it's closer to 400 or 500. I cannot find any repair information or readable parts diagrams. Is it possible that someone knows of a rebuilder. It would be a lot easier to have some one rebuild it than do it myself. I opened it up and it may require special tools to disassemble and reassemble. This unit appears to be made by Gemini, model 771-099. I'd appreciate any help I can get.

bobbysr

Threads
Look under your seat and tell us the serial number. That will tell the year of the mower. With those low hours, its hard to believe that there would be internal problems. It could be just a belt slipping or a frozen pully.

platojoe

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks guys, It could turn out to be a belt or pulley problem. I looked at it awhile ago and noticed the idler on the right side would spin freely. The idler on the left side had tension on it. I loosened the right side idler and slid it to the bottom of the slot and the belt is still not very tight. I've been using a 38" belt with no problem. I matched it up with a new belt and it is within an 1/8" in length. The left side spring loaded idler has taken up as much slack as it can and the belt is still not very tight. I can turn the right side idler without much effort. I'm going to try a 37" belt and see if that changes anything. Thanks.

platojoe

Forum Newbie
Threads
Look under your seat and tell us the serial number. That will tell the year of the mower. With those low hours, its hard to believe that there would be internal problems. It could be just a belt slipping or a frozen pully.

Thanks for hanging on there. I don't get that much time to monkey with these things. Yhe seial number is 5322169. I bought it new in 2002 0r 2003. I tried a 37" belt and couldn't get it on. I put a new 38" belt on and slid the right side idler down as far as possible and I can't detect any slippage. No problem in reverse. I can get it to go forward slowly if I work the left side back and forth and try to coordinate the thing. It takes a little doing.
The oil in the unit and resevoir seems fairly clean and has no smell such as overheated or burnt oil. I'm going to try and find a repair manual, not a parts manual.
I'd still like to know if anybody knows of someone that can rebuild these units if it comes to that.
Joe Forbes

Trapshooter76

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,

I recently purchased a Grasshopper 612/44" Deck with a Briggs V-Twin 12hp engine on it. The hydrostatic drive seemed a little noisy and deceided I was going to go through the entire mower changing fluids and filters and greasing etc. My question is on the Hydro's I pulled the plug on the bottom of them to drain but, when I took the bolts out of the top where you fill them it appeared there was still Hydro oil that didn't drain. I tried to suck out as much as I could with a syringe. Is there another way to completely get out all of the oil? Secondly, I've been told to go back with "Grasshopper" Hydro oil and nothing else... any truth to that? How full do I fill them since there doesn't appear to be a fill line on them. I would appreciate your feedback. Also, is there anything else I need to be looking at or maintain besides the regular oil, filter and sparkplug. If anyone can assist me I'd appreciate in your response.

Al

Last edited:

BWH

Threads
Hi,

I recently purchased a Grasshopper 612/44" Deck with a Briggs V-Twin 12hp engine on it. The hydrostatic drive seemed a little noisy and deceided I was going to go through the entire mower changing fluids and filters and greasing etc. My question is on the Hydro's I pulled the plug on the bottom of them to drain but, when I took the bolts out of the top where you fill them it appeared there was still Hydro oil that didn't drain. I tried to suck out as much as I could with a syringe. Is there another way to completely get out all of the oil? Secondly, I've been told to go back with "Grasshopper" Hydro oil and nothing else... any truth to that? How full do I fill them since there doesn't appear to be a fill line on them. I would appreciate your feedback. Also, is there anything else I need to be looking at or maintain besides the regular oil, filter and sparkplug. If anyone can assist me I'd appreciate in your response.

Al

I previously owned a 612 in which I changed the hydro fluid on three occasions, I never had any problems draining them down plus I never removed anything other than the plastic reservoir cap to drain and refill. I'm not sure what bolts your removing on the top maybe the plate that the reservoir screws onto? But never the less it always drained down completely in a couple of hours.

On the Grasshopper hydro fluid, what ever it is it is worth every penny. I had a 1982 1600 Grasshopper with a weak side, it was about the time they were coming out with the new fluid so I broke down and spent the money. To my amazement it really brought some life back to the weak side, I've been a believer ever since although I guess someone makes the oil for Grasshopper.