New to the whole forum thing...

Mike S Michigan

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, I'm Mike. I live in Davisburg Michigan between Pontiac and Flint. I mow about 3 of almost 4 acres with a Cub 4816F commercial walk (and I do NOT use the sulky) behind that has seen better days as it is about a 1997 (I think). I also have a 1989 Cub 1050 Garden Tractor that I use for general purposes after finally getting around to tearing out the drive line last year and fixing it. I'm 58 and plan on walking the lawn until 60 OR the 4816F gives out. I thought that was Wednesday when the PTO wouldn't engage. Seeing that the part cost upwards of $500 from Cub I went to the net and found this forum. It was helpful AND so was my neighbor who has a lot of toys that he keeps fit. My next purchase will probably be another Cub lawn/garden tractor in the $2k price range. This one will probably be bought new unlike the other beasts. That is if I can hold out and stop my wife from selling our beautiful lake property. Getting old stinks when you are having so much fun. But heaven will be better. No more broken wires, bad switches, worn out parts (like my knees and hips).

Thanks for you ear.
Mike

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Mike, Welcome. Keep walking as long as you can and do not target a specific age . You used the term "garden tractor" as your intended purchase. I missed buying a garden tractor when I started out and have been looking at them regularly. Don't think you can touch one for less than about $3K.

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
Hi and welcome to the forum, Mike. Glad to have you here. :welcome:

DaveTN

Threads
Hi Mike and Welcome to LMF! I'm 63 and I still mow by hand, split wood by hand,
and work on mowers, weedeaters, saws etc. mostly sitting in the driveway or on the
grass with an old sheet spread out. Reason being little bolts, springs, washers, fall
and I'm tired of crawling on my hands and knees looking for them. LOL An old sheet
or blanket really helps out a lot. Still I'm no fan of mowing! I can stand working on
a mower rather than mowing WITH it! :laughing: