Raptor Heat Shield

adam73647

Forum Newbie
Threads
Having this issue on my Rapter Limited.

Contacted the dealer and he said it's a $55 part and it is not being covered under warranty.

Very displeased with Hustler, after reading many complaints over the past several years where people were getting this replaced under warranty.

Mr. Mower

Threads
Having this issue on my Rapter Limited.

Contacted the dealer and he said it's a $55 part and it is not being covered under warranty.

Very displeased with Hustler, after reading many complaints over the past several years where people were getting this replaced under warranty.

My Raptor came with the heat shield standard, already installed.

But had to order, and install myself, the rear engine guard and front LED light fixture.

mhavanti

Threads
Adam,

I had the same response from my dealer, yet it turns out the same dealer added heat shields to other customers later on after they referred him to my video and the Hustler Review page on Facebook.

My dealer speaks with forked tongue, Kimosabe. He took my SD in to add the washer to the clutch, however, after a week and returning my SD, I put the camera under the mower and nothing had changed including the rattle which is still there today.

So, I'm including the video link and the Facebook Hustler Review Page links so that you may review in both.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDIfmYV4nvc
Hustler Turf Equipment Customer Reviews and Issues https://www.facebook.com/HustlerZeroTurn/

Kremeneon

Threads
There seem to be no scorching issues since installing the heat shield. I have yet to find a single piece of grass in/on it after dismounting the mower. One mow was chopping down an acre of knee-high for a neighbor which left the mower pretty well caked with grass.

He took my SD in to add the washer to the clutch, however, after a week and returning my SD, I put the camera under the mower and nothing had changed including the rattle which is still there today.

My dealer picked mine up and did the same, it still makes the rattle and the deck belt seems to flap around about as violently as it ever did.

mhavanti

Threads
Kreme,

Did you take a look at your clutch bolt before and after the supposed factory recall washer install? Mine definitely wasn't changed in any way is the reason it is still violent and rattling more than ever.

Thanks,

Max

Kremeneon

Threads
Kreme,

Did you take a look at your clutch bolt before and after the supposed factory recall washer install? Mine definitely wasn't changed in any way is the reason it is still violent and rattling more than ever.

Thanks,

Max

It did have the new washer(s) per the bulletin, but there was no effect on wobble and slamming into the clutch anchor.

mhavanti

Threads
That's a shame. Perhaps I should not be too harsh on the fella that has never yet done what he said he'd do or said he did if it would have done no good. lol

I have had conversations with folks that have fashioned spacers and installed them that refined the noise and shaking to almost zero. I'm going to have to put that on the modifications list for the ole SD60.

I'm considering throwing a turbo on the thing to see if I can liven it up. Just kidding.

Kremeneon

Threads
I have had conversations with folks that have fashioned spacers and installed them that refined the noise and shaking to almost zero. I'm going to have to put that on the modifications list for the ole SD60.
I first made a spacer out of a copper sweat fitting, figuring it could swage to shape and take the impacts without hurting the steel. quieted the machine right up. then after 4-5 mows it ejected itself, I had it zip tied around the anchor..

Then I got some thicker copper sheet, and removed the anchor, pounded the copper around it, soldered to capture, and buffed down the edges for thickness. That really did the trick, no rattle, no nothing.... though the wobble and belt flap was still there. It lasted just shy of the summer. the only way it could have come off it for the copper to be pounded into foil and fracture off at the impact points front and back.

THEN I removed the anchor again, took it to my neighbor with a welder and we built up the thickness of the anchor so it wouldn't have room to build up speed. I buffed it down to fit in the clutch slot with only a business card of space (anchor, but not bind...) so far so good, it isn't as quiet as the copper bumper, but it is quieter than OEM and the OEM >1/8" gap. it is slowly getting louder and the gap is opening. I think the steel on steel is wearing the slot in the clutch.

I'm considering throwing a turbo on the thing to see if I can liven it up. Just kidding.

I'd love to hear the mower spool up when transitioning from ankle to knee high grass ;)

Medic522

Forum Newbie
Threads
So I contacted Hustler about the heat shield. They told me that it isn't a warranty issue. I told them it was a design flaw, due to it happening to everyone. They "politely" said to either buy the part or not, they weren't doing anything about it. I guess spending $4200 for a mower, I should go spend another $50 to not burn my yard when I stop.

mhavanti

Threads
Medic,

If you bought from a dealer rather than from Lowes, try them. So far, all the folks that have had the heat shield supplied from the factory has been thru their dealership that wants to supply you service and maintain you as a customer.

Max