Help B&S 17.5 Intek

oneflewover2

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, need help.

I have a Ariens ride on with a 17.5 BS Intek (Model 31G777) which will not start. It turns over slowly and struggles on the compression stroke (often stalling completely). I have reset the valve clearance as per spec (.003-5 intake. .005-7 exhaust) 1/4" before TDC.No joy. On removal of spark plug engine turns fine so I am assuming it is not the starter motor. Even jumping from a fresh power source does not help,

How can I check to see if the compression relief system is working properly as I think this is at the root of the problem?

Any help/advise appreciated. Prior to this the engine was running fine.

Tinkerer200

Threads
Hi, need help.

I have a Ariens ride on with a 17.5 BS Intek (Model 31G777) which will not start. It turns over slowly and struggles on the compression stroke (often stalling completely). I have reset the valve clearance as per spec (.003-5 intake. .005-7 exhaust) 1/4" before TDC.No joy. On removal of spark plug engine turns fine so I am assuming it is not the starter motor. Even jumping from a fresh power source does not help,

How can I check to see if the compression relief system is working properly as I think this is at the root of the problem?

Any help/advise appreciated. Prior to this the engine was running fine.

Well to start with, it is 1/4" AFTER TDC. I do have detailed Instructions for adjusting Valves and also includes a test for the compression release. IF you want them, address below, put in proper format and remind me engine model number and what you want.

Walt Conner
wconner5 at frontier dot com