Scag Cheetah VS Ferris 3200, really tough call!

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
Several IS 3200 operators on lawnsite have commented about their new machines throwing the deck drive belt and spindle pulleys not tight. Haven't heard what the resolve is as many don't follow up and comment as to how their problem was solved.
I have always admired the suspension on Ferris ZTRs. In 2008 I set out to purchase an IS 2000, the dealer was on vacation, checked out Kubota, wasn't impressed, ended up with a Scag Tiger Cub/collection system. I have since installed an aftermarket suspension seat on the Tiger Cub. My Hustler X-ONE is used in a cemetery, one tough machine and easy to maneuver despite its size and weight, rear discharge machine.

My experience has been mostly with the is2100 and not the is3200. I guess there could be some difference in the decks, but it didn't appear to be to me. The specs indicate there may be different spindles on the is3200. The 61" icd deck on the is2100 looks identical to the icd deck on the S200xt and there have been no issues with either on any of the machines I have operated.

TaskForceLawnCare

Threads
We demoed the ferris a couple years ago and the scag. I was running with dixie chopper commercially. We went with scag, after looking at everything and try booth in every possible situation, tall grass, wet grass, production, the comparing moving parts and wear, tear parts pricing ect. Long story short after a lot of research we went with scag they just out performed in about everything. Also a used scag will bring more $ everyday at the auction. I'm not married to either brand just letting you know I've been down the same road you're on.

Guzzler

Threads
Taskforce, very helpful comment, thanks.

Don't mean to turn this into a soap opera, but

Along those lines, went to a dealer about an hour from home that sells both. Nice guy, really high prices. He was all about Scag. Not trying to start a huge brand debate, both nice machines. That said, when they are a few feet apart and you look closely at the construction, design, etc it is hard not to like the Scag just a little more. Just one example, but I found a factory installed loose bolt with no nut on a new Ferris in a REALLY important spot. No doubt I like the ride on the Ferris over the Cheetah, just a few design things that are concerning me enough that I am back to Scag. Called another dealer with both, he also favored Scag. Not 100% sure what to make of that so I have to go with my gut.

I wish Cheetah had the Kawi 37 DFI option but it doesn't. So, back to my original post (until I change my mind again). Leaning toward 61" Cheetah with either 31 Kawa or Briggs 36 BB. 27hp Kawa model is on a really good promo right now, just worried that I will spend 10k for an underpowered machine.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Go with the Vanguard engine on the Cheetah.
Kawasaki big blocks are still having problems and Kawasaki needs time to iron them out. Could be why Kawasaki's are on promotional.
There is always a "reason" for promotional sales!!

kwak

Threads
I have a Scag Tiger Cat with a 61" deck and the Kawi Fx730 (23hp I think) and have never had a issue with power and some of my grass gets pretty thick. I may be missing something but I can't imagine there being that much more of a drain on power on a Cheetah with the same deck.

TaskForceLawnCare

Threads
All the small engines are pretty decent, we prefer the kaw. Also, if you've engine issue and a good dealer Kaw will back their product up. I don't know every engine out there, but we've one walkbehind with over 3k hours on it an fx engine, that's never had anything done to it, as a mater of fact I've quit changing the plugs, air filter or fuel filter.
Also keep in mind there's a western standard for published Hp on an engine and an Asian standard. So a 25 hp Kaw is what Briggs is calling their 30 hp engine.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Kawasaki FX engines are unofficially classified in several categories.
Fx481V, FX541v and FX600 all share the same displacement basic engine block of 603 CCs and two valve cylinder heads.
FX651V, FX691V and FX730V all share the same displacement basic engine block of 726 CCs and two valve cylinder heads.
Both of these engine lines have been around for a long time and well proven.
The FX engines of larger displacement are considered "big blocks" and are three valve cylinder head design. As these engines are of newer design and production, there have been some problems showing up that Kawasaki needs to resolve and they will resolve them but it takes time.
To a varying extent, every product ends up being consumer tested regardless of amount of manufacturer testing prior to production.

A large percentage of consumers still believe that horsepower is the governing factor in the performance of any given machine, and as ZTRs are getting larger and heavier, horsepower does play into the performance picture somewhat, but not a whole lot. It is more of a marketing tool than a high horsepower need.
As the availability of higher durability hydrostatic drive units is happening, I think, but I have no data to substantiate this, the power needed to sufficiently drive these units has increased thus the demand for higher HP engines to install on these machines.
Observing automobile advertising, one will see that HP is always mentioned along with MPG ratings, but not the same model/engine combination.
Just a few thoughts from
Mad Mackie in CT:smile::biggrin::laughing:

Last edited:

TaskForceLawnCare

Threads
Thats kind of what I'm saying we have never had issues running the fx engines. Unless you just want to be cool and say you're running a big block there's no real advantage. A home owner running a commercial mower should never need a "big block". I run 61" tiger cats with the 23 hp fx and in the fall attach scag clam shell baggers that run off the right spindle. I've still never run out of power.

Guzzler

Threads
Thanks to everyone that chimed-in on this discussion, the comments were very helpful! Went with the Cheetah, 61" with 31HP Kawasaki. Seemed like some pros/cons with both Briggs and Kawa, called dealer and they had only Kawasaki 27 and 31HP so made decision a bit easier as he had been telling me all along that he preferred the Kawa, even when he had both. Agree with the last post, the 31hp not an absolute necessity. Using on a hobby farm, i cut a wide variety of areas. Some of those, like the edges of tilled fields with thick weeds and grass, probably push the limits. My old 61 with the 25HP (old ratings) just didn't have enough. The new 27 would probably have been fine but I had the extra $$ and just didn't want to second guess.

My first impression is WOW. I will start a new thread and give some first impressions after I get to mow for more than a few minutes.

Cheers!

Attachments

• Cheetah.pjeg.jpeg
    Cheetah.pjeg.jpeg
    345.5 KB · Views: 15

TaskForceLawnCare

Threads
Great choice, and the suspended rider platform is just as comfortable for the ride. Sorry i just wasn't impressed when we demoed the ferris. The motorcycle seat thing they made was fun and compact, but still cut like the ICD. It cut nice just not what we where after.