Limited Slip Differential?

lawntractor

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've not researched it at all yet, but I think I have broken my transaxel. Maybe I have just worn out the drive belt, but that looks good on first inspection.
I have a Poulan Pro HD21H42 that has a 314-0510 Hydro Gear transaxel. My big issue with this mower has always been the lack of traction when hauling a trailer full of whatever up an incline that is covered in pine needles. (The incline leads to the wooded area at the back of my lot where I decompose everything; lawn clippings, leaves, fallen trees etc.) So, rather than just fix the lawn tractor, whilst I have it apart, I'd rather upgrade it. Is there a limited slip differential that I can use instead of the stock unit?

rer

Threads
I cannot tell you, but If you find a good axle I might put it on the Snapper.

cottom

Threads
I've not researched it at all yet, but I think I have broken my transaxel. Maybe I have just worn out the drive belt, but that looks good on first inspection.
I have a Poulan Pro HD21H42 that has a 314-0510 Hydro Gear transaxel. My big issue with this mower has always been the lack of traction when hauling a trailer full of whatever up an incline that is covered in pine needles. (The incline leads to the wooded area at the back of my lot where I decompose everything; lawn clippings, leaves, fallen trees etc.) So, rather than just fix the lawn tractor, whilst I have it apart, I'd rather upgrade it. Is there a limited slip differential that I can use instead of the stock unit?

Most Hydros have a means of locking the differential a manual means of posi-trak.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I am also interested . The craftsman is almost worthless on a slight grade with moisture. I have been stuck more than once hauling even light loads in the trailer. Have to pick th landscape to operate in. Readers please respond. Thanks motoman:frown:

CityRedneck

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you aren't afraid to open up the transaxle just weld the differential gears locked. I have no clue about hydrostatics as all my mudding mowers have had gears but it should be relatively the same, a diff is a diff.

Attachments

• image28.png
    image28.png
    650.7 KB · Views: 47

RenegadeStang

Threads
If you aren't afraid to open up the transaxle just weld the differential gears locked. I have no clue about hydrostatics as all my mudding mowers have had gears but it should be relatively the same, a diff is a diff.

Us in the offroad industry call that a "Lincoln Locker". :biggrin:

DDS

Forum Newbie
Threads
Obviously you guys have mowers that have the true differential gear box system like those found in automobiles. These types of differentials are very reliable and transparent, but they are also very expensive and they only guarantee one wheel will drive - always the wheel with the less drive force. meaning that when you travel over slippery ground you have very little traction. Most walk behind mowers use a simple ratchet and pawl mechanism on each rear wheel to provide differential freedom, but the fact is, it also provides for 100% limited slip meaning that both wheels will always drive on straight runs. Both may slip on slippery ground, but the wheels will keep turning. There are several methods of achieving the ratchet and pawl effect, some of which have perfectly smooth action. My old Homelite walk behind simply has a precision 3/16" dia hole bored axially through the 9/16" dia rear drive axle and is fitted with a 3/16" dia dowel pin which slips back and forth inside a drive gear with 3 one way pawls. The action is completely transparent. I have always wondered why this simple differential action is never been used on larger vehicles. It works so well. Anybody know?