newbie w/a sheared mandrel housing

jinxed66

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, hoping someone can help me with this. While doing the lawn a piece of ? got stuck in my blades shearing 2 of the 3 bolts of my mandrel housing. I have a a craftsman 20hp twin, model #917.272911. I've ordered the mandrel housing on ebay but it does not come with the ball bearing. So my 2? are, can I use the bearing from the old mandrel? and any tips on removing the mandel from the deck? Thanks in advance for your help.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
When you take the other bolt out... it will likely break off...
The things are held on with self tapping bolts.. terrible idea, but makes for cheap fast assembly. They should have holes drilled completely through and held with bolts, nuts and lock washer. The self tapping bolts kind of make threads and then rust/corrode solid...
Normally you do not have to take them out, but when you do... they usually break off. I would try to drill the broken bolts out, and replace them with regular bolts...

If the shaft, pulley, bearings are not damaged you can use your old parts...
You will have to take off the blade & the spindle pulley...
BTW... Welcome to LMF.. if you can take pictures and post them for others that may eventually be doing this ...:smile:KennyV

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey there! WELCOME to LawnMowerForum! :biggrin:

I moved your thread to the Small Engine & Mower Repair Forum. You'll get a better response there. :thumbsup: