Spark plug?

Mike88se

Threads
I bought a couple of very lightly used Husqvarna 128LDs a while back. Neither ran so I got both for $50. I rebuilt the carb on one and sold it. I kept the other for a backup, thinking I'd pick up some used attachments cheap on CL and have a backup for everything. Rebuilt and adjusted the carb and it would run a few minutes then just die. I played with the H/L jets thinking it was just real particular. No good. I'd go back to it once in a while trying to get it right. I finally gave up and just kept it on the rack and hoped I'd never need it. The other day I was buying spark plugs and I picked up an NGK for the trimmer. I put it in and the thing runs like a champ now. There was a Champion plug in it that looked fine. In all the years I've tinkered with engines big and small that's the first time I've seen a plug make any difference at all.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Modern plugs don't have the protective coating on the ceramic like the older plugs, so if you flood the engine with any volume, the gas will soak into the ceramic and short the plug internally. the other big thing will faulty plugs are ones that have been dropped.

Me personally I don't like champion. I had to toss an entire case a few years back because of faulty plugs. Could install a new plug, start and run the mower for 5-10 minutes and it would die, replace the plug and do it again.

Mike88se

Threads
I thought the might be a hairline crack in the ceramic but couldn't find one. I wasn't sure about making that post but I'd just never seen a new plug make a dramatic difference like that. And I am a fan of NGK plugs... in my Japanese cars. I use them whenever I can on my mowers and handhelds. Advance Auto carries a lot of NGK small engine plugs now so they're easier to find.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Crazy how things seem sometimes. I have never particularly liked champions , but the ones in my Intek work perfectly. When it comes to 2 strokes, however I notice a dramatic improvement with the platinum , small dia electrode units. I used to get the autolite series for my chainsaw and trimmers, but they disappeared a couple years back.