toro trouble

the cowboy

Forum Newbie
Threads
hi all,
my toro 16-38 XL rider has a problem; you have to run it on half choke, otherwise the governor with go back and forth making the engine rev and die down over and over. it happens all the way from low to high but evens out at half choke. i have replaced all the gaskets. how could i stop it? (fix it for real)

also, there is a little wire (2 of them) that connect to the the bottom of the bowl that houses the float on the carberauetor. what does it do? control the jets? there arn't any exposed jets from the outside at all.

could it just not be getting enought gas?

thank you.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
hi all,
my toro 16-38 XL rider has a problem; you have to run it on half choke, otherwise the governor with go back and forth making the engine rev and die down over and over. it happens all the way from low to high but evens out at half choke. i have replaced all the gaskets. how could i stop it? (fix it for real)

also, there is a little wire (2 of them) that connect to the the bottom of the bowl that houses the float on the carberauetor. what does it do? control the jets? there arn't any exposed jets from the outside at all.

could it just not be getting enought gas?

thank you.

The surging problem suggests a lean mix. The wires go to a solenoid that opens/shuts the main jet, to help keep it from 'popping' when you shut it down - it shuts off the fuel. This solenoid may not be opening up all the way. It is an expensive ($100) part, though - be sure it's not a clogged filter or something before you go replacing it.

I have run into the fuel lines themselves getting restricted - there is no blockage in the line, but it's swelled up somewhere, and clogs up the flow. Replace the fuel lines and any filters first, that'd be your cheapest start - then look really good at that bowl solenoid. It should 'click' with authority when you turn on the key - if it barely makes a sound - or seems overly warm, that is the culprit.

noma

Threads
The cowboy

There isn't something with one of those wires at the bottom of the solenoid , ones not shorted out or something bad connection?:smile: