toro governor trouble

the cowboy

Forum Newbie
Threads
hi all,
my toro 16-38 XL rider has a problem; you have to run it on half choke, otherwise the governor with go back and forth making the engine rev and die down over and over. it happens all the way from low to high but evens out at half choke. i have replaced all the gaskets. how could i stop it? (fix it for real)

also, there is a little wire (2 of them) that connect to the the bottom of the bowl that houses the float on the carberauetor. what does it do? control the jets? there arn't any exposed jets from the outside at all.

could it just not be getting enought gas?

thank you.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
also, there is a little wire (2 of them) that connect to the the bottom of the bowl that houses the float on the carberauetor. what does it do? control the jets? there arn't any exposed jets from the outside at all.

could it just not be getting enought gas?

thank you.

That is the fuel shut off solenoid... If it is not opening fully I guess it could limit fuel flow...?
When you turn the key to on... you should hear a strong CLICK at that solenoid... :smile:KennyV

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey there! WELCOME to LawnMowerForum! :biggrin:

I moved your thread to the Small Engine & Mower Repair Forum. You'll get a better response there. :thumbsup:

Trcustoms719

Threads
The engine is running lean.
The thing on the bowl is a fuel cut off solenoid.
Make sure the air filter is clear, Test it by trying to shine a good light through it if no light can be seen or the filter just looks dirty i would replace it.
Is a good clean steady amount of fuel getting to the carb?
Try turning out the mixture screw a bit.
Did you check the float and the float level when you had the carb apart?
It could be a vacuum leak in the intake or a dirty carb too if it didn't get cleaned really good.

CajunCub

Threads
The main jet in the carb must have a restriction in it causing the lean condition. You are going to have to remove the carb again and blow through that jet. (It's the one that run straight up through the middle of it) You cannot remove it...you have to blow it out using compressed air. Double check the intake gasket to insure a good seal to the block. Good Luck!:thumbsup:

wildbill

Threads
I agree with the Cajun, it is likely the main jet thing. Something I do for a quick fix that eliminates removing the carb is:
- Clamp off the gas line near where it enters the carb. (If u do not have a clamp, you can drain the tank)
- Remove the gas line from the carb.
- Take a piece of fuel line, about 6" to 8" long and connect it to the carb.
-Take a can of spray carb cleaner, and, using the 'spout' that comes with the can, and fill the gas line.
This will put a good amount of carb cleaner in the carb.
- After a couple minutes, pull off the fuel line from the carb, and reattach the line from the tank.
- Pour in some fresh gas and crank 'er up.

This works most of the time. Good luck!!