Making a decision tomorrow on Raptor or SD

flightco

Threads
I have read these forums for days now and still can't decide between the 52 inch Raptor or the 54 inch SD. In all actuality the 42 would work for me but with both the 42 and the 48 (SD) being so close in price to their bigger brothers I am not considering them. I will be making a decision in the morning and thought I would look for input from knowledgeable users.

I have only 1/2 acre and am trying to buy the lot behind us which is a little more than 3/4, all pretty flat.

So my dilemma; Either would work and probably all but the 42 are overkill but I have a long history of buying everything a level or two above what I need feeling like it will probably last longer that way.

I am leaning toward the SD for the following reasons (not in a particular order)

Higher BTS without really knowing how important this is.

I like the looks of the huge rear tires, do these do anything other than look very cool?

Somewhat better seat

Obviously stronger in many areas but again not sure this is pertinent to my situation.

Like the serviceable Hydro, is this a reason to move to the more expensive mower in my situation

Not sure which deck height adjuster I like best.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, right now it is like going into a restaurant and not knowing if you want the filet or rib eye, when the waitress comes you make a decision.

Thanks,

Kremeneon

Threads
I went with the SD54, seeing both the regular and SD in person you can see there is a lot more iron and general beefyness that isn't in the normal raptor. I also have much love for the foot deck lifter vs the emergency brake style. You can easily step on the pedal and float the deck up over a potential obstacle (like driving up/down a curb) or latch it up without having to stop motion and remove your hand from the sticks.

Yes the big tires all around look cool, but also lower ground pressure for less rut potential on moist dirt. Have no fear, the RSD will still divot like a champ if you don't turn correctly.

Me doing the math, the RSD54 is by far the best what-you-get-for-what-you-pay value in the lineup.

Last edited:

flightco

Threads
Thanks Kremeneon for your reply. I was hoping for more but I would imagine folks here are sick to death of saying the same thing to every newbie that comes along with the very same question but really saying "tell me what to buy, I can't make up my mind."

Pulled the trigger on the 54" SD today, should pick it up Monday or Tuesday. If I am going to have buyers remorse I would rather that it be that I spent more than I wanted but got a great value for the dollar than I saved a grand and now wish I had bought the better mower.

Give me a few weeks and I will let everyone know what I think of the SD

Can anyone tell me the best way (ebay, craigs list, etc) to sell a 3 year old, slightly used 33" Cub Cadet walk behind?

Kremeneon

Threads
Thanks Kremeneon for your reply. I was hoping for more but I would imagine folks here are sick to death of saying the same thing to every newbie that comes along with the very same question but really saying "tell me what to buy, I can't make up my mind."

I'll share everything you want to know about my experiences so far. but I need some sort of topic prompt.

Pulled the trigger on the 54" SD today, should pick it up Monday or Tuesday. If I am going to have buyers remorse I would rather that it be that I spent more than I wanted but got a great value for the dollar than I saved a grand and now wish I had bought the better mower.

Congrats! check the hydro reservoir before and after the first couple uses and be prepared to add about a pint to it.

flightco

Threads
I did purchase this through a dealer. I had it in my cart at Lowes with the 10% off coupon and decided to call a local dealer and give them the opportunity. There have been so many comments about dealers not budging on price I thought it was a waste of time but they were very nice about it, gave me 10% off on the mower, the engine guard and mulching kit. Putting both on at no charge and free delivery. I think they will be great to work with.

John WD

Threads

Can anyone tell me the best way (ebay, craigs list, etc) to sell a 3 year old, slightly used 33" Cub Cadet walk behind?

I sold my old Husqvarna tractor on Craigslist. I sold it in one day and got a decent price out of it.

Kremeneon

Threads
I sold my old Husqvarna tractor on Craigslist. I sold it in one day and got a decent price out of it.

Give yourself a few mows to get used to the ZTR. I looked like a drunk sailor on the first mow but within a couple hours in the seat I was zooming right up to my fence full speed and stopping with an inch to spare, then creeping around a fencepost and ripping away in the opposite direction.

chevitz

Threads
it does take a few mows to get used to the zero turn controls. During my first mow, i was wondering if i had made a mistake buying a zero turn, by the time i did my third mow i was really loving my raptor sd.