Lawn Boy user

Fireman 123

Threads
Lawn Boy fan new to the forum. I have 3 old 2 stroke boys. One is a '76 model 5244 19" cut. Another '76 model 7226 21" cut with the side bagger. And I have a '87 model 8243 21" self-propelled.
I've had the 5244 a few years and completely took apart, cleaned, and re-painted back in the winter. Just waiting on a few parts to come in to finish it up.
I junk picked the 7226 and 8243 last week. After cleaning the tank, carb and making a few adjustments, I mowed the yard with it without any problems. As for the 8243, I have a carb ordered for it, and hopefully it'll run again. It does have spark, and the transmission is all there and seems like it'll work fine. I'll try to upload some pics if I can figure out how.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Welcome to LMF...
You will be in good company with your LawnBoys here...
There are several collectors & users of that old GREAT line... :smile:KennyV

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey there! WELCOME to LawnMowerForum! :biggrin:

I moved your thread to the Lawn Boy Forum for good measure. :wink:

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have several two-stroke Lawn Boys from the 1970s -- it's a shame that they don't make them like that anymore.

My latest project is a 1974 model 8232. I bought two of them and have been using one for parts. I took off the self-propelled mechanism and got it running.

Here's a picture:

LB8232-2.jpg

Fireman 123

Threads
I like the models with the white shroud. Nice mower, keep it going! Good looking shep too.

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
I like the models with the white shroud. Nice mower, keep it going! Good looking shep too.

Just in case you haven't seen one in person the stick-on labels ("Lawn-Boy", etc.) are very glittery -- totally appropriate for the disco-crazed mid-1970s. :cool:

seeker

Threads
Re: Lawn Boy users & rebuilders

This is a reply to any of you that have scuccessfully rebuilt any of the older mowers, one question is how do you remove the aluminum residue on the cylinder and should the connecting rod be installed with part number up or down towards the deck ? Thanks to all :)

Fireman 123

Threads
I have several two-stroke Lawn Boys from the 1970s -- it's a shame that they don't make them like that anymore.

My latest project is a 1974 model 8232. I bought two of them and have been using one for parts. I took off the self-propelled mechanism and got it running.

Here's a picture:

LB8232-2.jpg

I now too am a proud owner of a '74 8232. The deck has a couple bad places, but it runs like a champ and self propel works great! I got it and an old 5024 brick top out of the weeds at a lawn mower shop for $25. Took very little to get the 8232 going, but the poor old brick top was locked up tighter than a wedge, so sadly, it got parted out. I know where 2 more, and a Scamp are. Hmmm....:rolleyes:

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
I now too am a proud owner of a '74 8232. The deck has a couple bad places, but it runs like a champ and self propel works great! I got it and an old 5024 brick top out of the weeds at a lawn mower shop for $25. Took very little to get the 8232 going, but the poor old brick top was locked up tighter than a wedge, so sadly, it got parted out. I know where 2 more, and a Scamp are. Hmmm....:rolleyes:

I bought two model 8232 mowers and one model 4550 that had been sitting outside in the back of a mower shop for $110. I got the better 8232 running but I think it still isn't quite up to par -- I'm going to clean the muffler and ports -- that made a big difference on my model 7266. The second 8232 is probably going to be a parts mower but the engine seems pretty sound (compression, etc.) so it may be a working mower yet.

The model 4550 looks almost like new (very low hours) but I haven't been able to make it run -- no spark -- but I haven't spent much time on it.

I did lots of mowing over the weekend. The 8232, even in its current state, can go through tall grass that would certainly stop my Briggs-powered Jacobsen.

earthworm

Threads
Lawn Boy fan new to the forum. I have 3 old 2 stroke boys. One is a '76 model 5244 19" cut. Another '76 model 7226 21" cut with the side bagger. And I have a '87 model 8243 21" self-propelled.
I've had the 5244 a few years and completely took apart, cleaned, and re-painted back in the winter. Just waiting on a few parts to come in to finish it up.
I junk picked the 7226 and 8243 last week. After cleaning the tank, carb and making a few adjustments, I mowed the yard with it without any problems. As for the 8243, I have a carb ordered for it, and hopefully it'll run again. It does have spark, and the transmission is all there and seems like it'll work fine. I'll try to upload some pics if I can figure out how.
Mine is a 7229, $35....used...at a used mower dealer.
I have questions about the gas to oil...
No problems with varnish, yet...
But the wheels and crank bearings are worn.