Weed Control in my Small Pond

Sprinkler Buddy

Threads
I have recently pulled a perment to put triploid carp in my little pond. I initially put 5 in because hydrilla type plant has been taking over. Thought my Bass has eaten them all, I was wrong, been seeing 4 of them now grazing. Hope to see them clean it up so I don't have to use any chemicals.:thumbsup:

Perment is FREE, fish cost me $8.00 a peace, 9-12" fish. Post incase anyone else has this problem. Once they get big and food source gets limited, we'll have a little fun with the Bow to get a few out if they all make it.:laughing:

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a pond in Florida too. I have several types of weeds that cause problems. I used another method of control. I learned that the grass carp can foul the water should the level get too low.
The weed that reely got to be a problem was Aligator weed, although I also have Hyacynth and duck weed.
Are those fish sterile?

Sprinkler Buddy

Threads
I have a pond in Florida too. I have several types of weeds that cause problems. I used another method of control. I learned that the grass carp can foul the water should the level get too low.
The weed that reely got to be a problem was Aligator weed, although I also have Hyacynth and duck weed.
Are those fish sterile?

Yes, they are sterile, State of FL and most other states require them to be. That is why a perment is required. Luckily, my pond is spring fed, I have manually pulled weeds out and it cleared up in a few days after doing so. Don't think the carp will foul the water here, If they do, bow will come out early.:smile: Water table is extremely low right now! Atleast 5'-6' right now.

I have had friends use other methods, they worked to well. All the weeds decaying all at once dropped the oxygen level and they lost a lot of fish. Thought I would try the slower but longer lasting approach. I also enjoy watching them cruz around the pond.