Tire install...

Jack17

Threads
This a 20x10x8 is absolutely, positively kicking my behind! In my younger years did plenty of car and truck tire installs by hand...never a lawnmower. I've got plenty of liquid soap, scotch bright the inside of the rim and...nothing. It won't go in and I don't want to damage the tire by using a brute-force! Is there a trick to it?

Bod

Threads
All I can say is that it helps to have 2 people and multiple pry bars. Watch for gouged hands! Prob worth the few bucks to take it to a shop.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
The same as a car or truck tire. Maybe double check the size? Just where are you having the problem? You are dropping the opposite of the tire into the drop down side of the wheel when trying to install it?

Jack17

Threads
You are dropping the opposite of the tire into the drop down side of the wheel when trying to install it?

O shoot!!! What am I missing here? What side is the "drop down side"? Its a lawnmower tire...there shouldn't be any drop-down-side for crying out loud!!! Size is OK...I've checked. Should I use a heat gun on rubber make it softer...maybe? :confused2:

Jack17

Threads
Prob worth the few bucks to take it to a shop.

I agree with you! Sure looks like I'm about to regret it! No blood so far...that's good!:thumbsup:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Won't go in ?
Just done a 20 x 8 x 10 on a 2142 husky no great problems.
Howeve the 16 x 5 x 4 was a right royal PIA
What won't go where ?

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Jack. Feel your pain. I had trouble with a silly little trailer tire on a cheap Chinese rim. I finally got a big bolt and locked it down on a big bench vise to locate the rim-that was half the battle. The other half was being really careful about putting the side on the rim in the deepest crevice . I had trouble keeping the two beads together in the crevice. Once done the tire fell on by hand. Realize yours is bigger and therefore harder. If you are remote or do a lot of this take a look at the Harbor Freight tire man. Most seem to mount this tool on a pallet and problem solved.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
O shoot!!! What am I missing here? What side is the "drop down side"? Its a lawnmower tire...there shouldn't be any drop-down-side for crying out loud!!! Size is OK...I've checked. Should I use a heat gun on rubber make it softer...maybe? :confused2:

The center of the wheel drops down. I would need the wheel here in my shop and am very sure I could show you how to change a tire. Change many lawnmower tires for my customers.

Jack17

Threads
Of course!!! I'm doing it all wrong! There is a drop-down-side but it won't be on a tire...it's on the rim. Also, I need a center post to secure it properly and I'm not tilting the tire over the rim deep enough to start it in the "deepest crevice"! One last mistake I've made last night was drinking Samuel Adams Summer Ale while I was working on it. Should've been drinking Fosters!!!

Thank you Motoman, Raynoldson, Bod and Bert for enlightening me!

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Jack, Cannot fault the beer. Glad you won. It is humbling sometimes. And apparently you had no problem with air seal which can also be tricky.