Homelite trimmer question

lewb

Threads
Straight Shaft String Trimmer (UT33650) – Homelite

I have this trimmer and it works fine, I think I have used it for 8 years. My question is the bottom gear where shaft meets the spool. Seems to be getting hot, maybe that is normal. Also there is screw that is apparently a drain plug. Does not appear to have any other function so I assume it must be for gear lube. When I removed and turned upside down nothing came out. Just wondering if anyone has knowledge of this drain plug if that what it is. Otherwise I would guess the whole assembly is replaceable, does not appear that you can remove and replace any parts.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Many straight shaft trimmers have a small bolt that you remove and add grease. some call for a special grease, just not number 2 every day grease.

lewb

Threads
Thanks, I did find some youtube videos on other trimmers, that make sense why nothing came out when I removed the plug and turned it over.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
My Ryobi straight shaft had the pinion gear at the bottom. At about year 8 I was cleaning and lubing the drive shaft and disassembled the end. If yours is like mine it was not difficult. I cleaned the gear set and packed it with disc brake wheel bearing grease for lack of other. It ran well another 2 years 'til the engine quit. I tried to put a little zerk fitting into the plug hole but determined is was not SAE , perhaps metric so next year I pulled the plug and butted a grease gun tip against the hole and pumped. Seemed to work well.

lewb

Threads
I did put some high temp grease in, ran it for a bit. I did get grease to come out next to the output shaft, I guess I know there is and was grease in it.