ZTR's 2 Blade vs. 3 Blade Pros and Cons?

Crusher

Threads
Besides the obvious that 3 blade ZTR's have a wider cutting path, are there any pros and cons between the two. Do they mulch the same, does one clog more often with wet grass then the other, etc.

LandN

Threads
Besides the obvious that 3 blade ZTR's have a wider cutting path, are there any pros and cons between the two. Do they mulch the same, does one clog more often with wet grass then the other, etc.

i'm guessing that there is more a difference in the under deck design/shape (and) blade design/shape than a 2 blade vs. 3 blade. if that were the case, would a single blade mower clog more than a 2 blade mower or vise versa. i've had two blade units that clogged more than others and the same with single blade mowers, i've had some clog worse than others. you can't cut long wet thick grass and have a perfectly clean underside.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Some where else here there is a 2 vs 3 blade post going on now...
I posted there that I've only had 3 blade decks... small and large, cutting wet tall grass, dry short... I have never has a deck clog ever...
first I ever heard of such a thing I had to look at a friends mower... never did find why... since then it seems whenever someone has clogging problems it's usually a 2 blade deck...

I am sure that air flow problems because of deck design contribute... BUT I've never had the problem... :smile:KennyV

wildbill

Threads
Assuming the blades are sharp and the grass is dry, the real story of cutting vs. clogging , as noted in a previous reply, is about the air flow of the cut grass. Does the engineering of a mower really focus on how efficient the grass will discharge? After about 50+ years of messing with mowers, cleaning-sharpening blades-changing blades, and now with a (small) mower repair business to occupy my retirement, I would say that sales is just about all a mower mfg has in mind when design is on the table. Fact of the matter, if you get a mower that never clogs and never throws out chunks resembling buffalo chips, then you have one hellofva mower. As for wet grass, it will stick to the deck, some deck designs trap more than others. The 3-blade units will do a better job cutting and mulching simply because there are more cutting edge surfaces flying around. As for mowing, another thing that impedes good grass flow discharge as well as helping to produce 'clots' are those confounded ""safety" flaps. Me, and most folks, raise the flaps up several inches by attaching a string to them and tie the other end to the mower to 'relieve' the back pressure created by the blade's trailing edge trying to lift the grass up so the following blade's cutting edge can whack it. Otherwise the blades create a lot of bound-up turbulence which reduces the cutting efficiency, and, makes you have to travel slower to achieve a nice cut. Me, I would rather eat manure with a pitchfork than mow grass, so, the sooner I can get off the beast the better. (Got 3 acres here to cut)
Here's a tip: Pull the deck off, turn it over and do a really good clean-up. I mean wire brush everything off. Try to remove the sharp edges where grass hangs up. For bare metal, prime it, paint it. Then apply a light coat of motor oil, used oil is fine. The oil will repel moisture, will help prevent corrosion, and if you do this a couple times a year, especially at season's end, you will have a deck that will outlast the motor.

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
Sorry to be the idiot of the bunch... But you can get a mower with three blades!? :eek:

I thought you just got one long blade fitted to mowers ?

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Europeans.....:rolleyes:

:laughing::biggrin:

reddnekk

Forum Newbie
Threads

Have never had a ZTR, but have 3-blade Murray 46" and will NEVER EVER have a three blade again. Used a 2 blade Poulan--no trouble. With the Murray, clogging, belt wear and burning, blade jamming, frequent blade changes, all of which seem to be due to the 3 blade setup (altho I admit Murrays are essentially junk to start with).

I would urge you to get the two-blader.

Last edited:

wildbill

Threads
The Murray under-the-deck design is some more poor engineering. Also, they did not design good blade drive symmetry. About 10 years ago I got a Sears 3-blade mower, and after a couple days trying to get it to mow right, I took it back and got the 'ole reliable 42" 2-blade. If you want a good 3-blade mower you will likely need to go to the higher end prices of Snapper, Scagg, etc. Go to consumer reporting and find the ones that have rave reviews.