Bob-Cat Ransome Engine Problems

motaro38

Threads
Hi, working on a Bob-Cat Ransome mower with the Kawasaki engine. I started it up for the first time this season and it ran fine, then when I went to start it the next week it wouldn't start. I made sure it had spark, good fuel, all handles were in their proper place, etc., still nothing. I then took the air filter off and sprayed ethanol into the filter and it started, but only ran for maybe 10-20 seconds before I watched the air filter housing fill up with gas and the engine shut off, I assume due to it flooding out.

I thought it might be the carb but when I took off the carb, I pulled the pull start and that little rod in the engine behind the carb didn't move, not sure if this is normal. Here is the part I am talking about:
ransome1.jpg

I removed the valve cover and when I pulled the pull start, the two rods with the springs on them moved fine, nothing looked strange there. I'm no mechanic so I can't be sure of what the problem is but that rod in the picture not moving when I pull the cord seems strange. Any insight would be helpful. Thanks