Honda Tiller

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just had a job come into my shop which was a tiller with a Honda engine. Ever time it would go under a load it would start running bad. I knew it needed carburetor work. When I went on line to look for parts I found a new carburetor only cost 18 dollars. I couldn't rebuild the old one for that amount of money. When the new carburetor came and I installed it ran like a new tiller. If Honda can sell a new carburetor for only 18 dollars why can't other company's do the same. Last year I needed a new carburetor for a Kohler and as I recall it cost me over 250 dollars.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sounds like the carb for the GC160 engine. i change half a dozen a year for carb problems. just for comparison just changed a carb on a GX160 yesterday. Carb was $72. In this case the carb was damaged and had to be replaced. I always make a point to get the price of a complete carb before rebuilding for comparison

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sounds like the carb for the GC160 engine. i change half a dozen a year for carb problems. just for comparison just changed a carb on a GX160 yesterday. Carb was $72. In this case the carb was damaged and had to be replaced. I always make a point to get the price of a complete carb before rebuilding for comparison

The job is back to the customer but now that you that you did say 160 and I just looked at my paper work it was a GC160, nice running engine. So what is the different in the two engines GC and GX to make that big of a different in price of the carburetor? I will watch the prices of carburetors a lot closer from now on. Carburetor part number was 16100-Z0J-013 for the GC160.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The one for the GX has the fuel shutoff on the carb, maybe that is the price difference.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
The one for the GX has the fuel shutoff on the carb, maybe that is the price difference.

Some Honda carbs have a sediment cup too. Carbs made in Japan are costly, while those made in Thailand or USA are far less for many reasons.

It also helps if Honda made (or makes) hundreds of thousands of a particular engine vs. just a small batch. The most common carb is a lawn mower model, and so it's the lowest price. As products are discontinued and parts demand drops, making new batches of old carbs get very, VERY costly. This is why you might see one carb for a 3-year old mower only cost $20, but a originally-made-in-Japan carb for a 30+ year-old belt-drive generator going for $150. :frown:

Bod

Threads
yes, some honda parts are made in Thailand and alot cheaper. Some are made in both Japan and Thailand. If your in good with your supplier you can ask if there is a Thai part available cheaper than the one they show on the break down.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I know for 20 dollars for a complete carburetor I can't repair one for that with the labor cost.