Kohler XT 675 ignition module?

myronjax

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello. I am new to this forum, so excuse me if I ask something already answered. I have a year old Toro Recycler with the Kohler XT 675 engine. I bought this late in the Fall and did not get a chance to use it last year. It would not start the first time out this year. After some basic troubleshooting, I purchased a new ignition module. The mower started right up, and performed well. Same thing the second usage a week later. But, a few weeks later, when I got it out, it would not start. It is giving the same symptoms as before. I reset the gap on the ignition module, cleaned a plug that really didn't need it, checked the fuel lines. Signs point to the ignition module-again. Is there a way to check this part, as I really cant see the part only being good for 2 mows of a standard yard. I like this mower, but it needs to run to be of use. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks.....Jim

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Would seem strange that two would go bad in a short period of time. Unplug the ignition module and see if you have spark. If you have spark with the wire disconnected but not with it connected, then something is wrong with the kill switch. I have seen cases where the engine control cable wouldn't completely clear the kill system and result in no start.

myronjax

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello. Sorry for the delay in responding. Lot's of family problems happened all at once.
I tried checking for spark, and I do have it. I next unplugged the kill switch wire. Still have the same problem.
As always: open to, and thankful for any suggestions...Jim

primerbulb120

Threads
Remove the air filter and spray starting fluid into the carburetor throat. Try to start the engine and post back with the results.

fixit1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Remove the air filter and spray starting fluid into the carburetor throat. Try to start the engine and post back with the results.

Having the same issue, engine starts fine with starter fluid, runs fine, but does not start without the starter fluid hot or cold. The auto choke appears to work fine and fully opens when hot, but fails to restart when hot as well as cold, so I am thinking the choke is OK too. Changed the plug as it was 4 years old, but still have the issue. Could a stuck needle be the cause and once the engine is force started vibration frees fuel flow? Another suggestion from a shop was a weak spark. I would think if you have spark (I do if grounding the plug to outside the engine, spark is visible) at all, the fuel would ignite? If the coil is the issue, why would it run after starter fluid/ether? If the coil ground/kill is the issue, it should never start, right? Regapped the coil for kicks, still have the problem. There is also a vacuum module on the carb - what is that doing and can that be the problem?