Repairs Toro SS3200 - Something Funny Going On With Brake Actuator

WeekendWarrior

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Toro SS3200 - Something Funny Going On With Brake Actuator
I have a 2011 or 2012 Toro SS3200 zero-turn mower. Out of the blue, something happened and I can't figure out what's going on.

First, the battery was dead after I had used the mower a week before, when the battery seemed to be fine. After charging the battery, the mower started just fine. However, when I engaged the motion control levers, the mower wouldn't budge and seemed to power out. I did some research, and figured out that the electric brake was on. Then, strangely, when I turned off the ignition key, the mower kept running. I got up off the seat and pulled the control lever in and the engine stopped.

I manually reset the brake link arms connected to the electric brake actuator module. I started the mower again, and again when I engaged the control levers, the mower wouldn't budge and powered out. I checked the brake link arms and they had reset again to the "brake" position. Again, the ignition switch wouldn't shut off the engine.

I pulled the panel off with the ignition switch, checked the fuses (they were good), and pulled the switch. I checked the switch's continuity per the online service manual, and all the continuity checks were good. The seat switch works.

I since replaced the battery and that didn't solve anything (that was probably a waste of money).

I'm stumped. Is it the brake actuator module? Is there a short somewhere that drained the battery and is causing the other problems?

I hope someone with experience on the SS Toro zero-turns has some tips for me. I'd like to fix it myself and I hate to just throw parts at it. Thanks in advance for any advice!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When you replaced the battery you most likely disconnected the cut out to the coils. Won't stop
Go to the coils and trace the wire back.
Also a chance you have accidentally olpened up the bypass valves to the drives (wont go)

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Start checking electrical connectors. Sound like either one has come loose, or corroded. Also you may have invited my favorite critter to dinner. A mouse has chewed the wires and created a short/ intermittent contact situation.

Nothing like having a mower that won't move if the battery is dead. Trying to load this thing on a trailer for service with a dead battery is a pain.

Brucebotti

Threads
I have a 2011 or 2012 Toro SS3200 zero-turn mower. Out of the blue, something happened and I can't figure out what's going on.

First, the battery was dead after I had used the mower a week before, when the battery seemed to be fine. After charging the battery, the mower started just fine. However, when I engaged the motion control levers, the mower wouldn't budge and seemed to power out. I did some research, and figured out that the electric brake was on. Then, strangely, when I turned off the ignition key, the mower kept running. I got up off the seat and pulled the control lever in and the engine stopped.

I manually reset the brake link arms connected to the electric brake actuator module. I started the mower again, and again when I engaged the control levers, the mower wouldn't budge and powered out. I checked the brake link arms and they had reset again to the "brake" position. Again, the ignition switch wouldn't shut off the engine.

I pulled the panel off with the ignition switch, checked the fuses (they were good), and pulled the switch. I checked the switch's continuity per the online service manual, and all the continuity checks were good. The seat switch works.

I since replaced the battery and that didn't solve anything (that was probably a waste of money).

I'm stumped. Is it the brake actuator module? Is there a short somewhere that drained the battery and is causing the other problems?

I hope someone with experience on the SS Toro zero-turns has some tips for me. I'd like to fix it myself and I hate to just throw parts at it. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Hi,
I don't have much hands-on experience with the problem you are having, but this manual does show some diagnostics that you can try. I have posted this manual earlier and it is very helpful. Hope this helps!
Bruce
http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pd...b001rw&cm_mmc=CJ-_-6154825-_-11210757&cj=true