Electric PTO

Jack17

Threads
Power washed it. :)

Do not power wash anything on a lawn mower...like EVER! I'm not even sure if those newer wash out decks are good for anything. After all "old school" decks didn't have those gizmos on them and ran for a long time.
Use compressed air or a blower to dust it off, wipe it all down clean and lube where needed.

cruzenmike

Threads
Do not power wash anything on a lawn mower...like EVER! I'm not even sure if those newer wash out decks are good for anything. After all "old school" decks didn't have those gizmos on them and ran for a long time.
Use compressed air or a blower to dust it off, wipe it all down clean and lube where needed.

You are correct. The wash out ports may contribute to water being forced into the spindle housing or bearings leading to premature failure. Companies must have considered the benefits over the drawbacks when making that decision. The rate of failure does have to be somewhat low, otherwise class action lawsuits would be happening left and right. Regardless, nothing beats a good old hand cleaning of a deck (once removed) and zerk fittings on spindles that are properly lubricated.

Mike

Jack17

Threads
I made a little air blast gizmo I use every time right after a mow out of quick connect air hose fitting, 3/8" ball valve, about 3' of 3/8" copper tube and a ~1/8" air nozzle that was soldered on. Works really nice.

cruzenmike

Threads
I made a little air blast gizmo I use every time right after a mow out of quick connect air hose fitting, 3/8" ball valve, about 3' of 3/8" copper tube and a ~1/8" air nozzle that was soldered on. Works really nice.

I took the PTO out but could only clean it so much. I noticed when I took it out that there was some slack or play near the top of the clutch where it is somewhat dome shaped. I figured since it was acting up I would just replace it. I called the local dealer and they quoted me $374 for a replacement PTO. I went in Amazon and got a Stens unit for $163. I just cannot believe the mark-up on this from the dealer. I am going to throw the new pto in this weekend and make sure that it is all good. I may want to sell the mower in the spring so I might well get it in tip-top shape. Thanks again for the help everyone!

Mike