Oil filer cross over

MarineScott

Threads
Are there any mower oil filters that cross over to automotive filter? I would think the thread pitch would be different. I get my oil filters (Hastings) for my vehicles at just under $3 and a B&S filter is $10-$12.:thumbdown:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
some people have crossed them over to auto filters, but small engine filters normally have a bypass built into the filter that isn't in auto filters. Now in theory, which would be very rare, the filter could clog and without the filter bypass could starve the engine of oil. Small engine filters normally are setup to be anti drain back also.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
The pros know best...I found and use auto filters of various brands on my Intek.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
When you cross over to say a wix filter it will have a bypass valve.
Make sure the filter is a high flow not a high pressure filter.

Wix and Napa gold are the best filter for small engines.
Filters like K&N people like because you can use a socket on them. And they think that's what are on race cars. Fact is they do not do a adequate job of filtering.

neetan

Threads
Now that is surprising since my honda GVX690 uses the same part number as the Civic, which came as a big surprise to my dealer who was paying his dealer more then double! From my Honda car dealer the filter is CDN $10.85, dealer cost to me $41.25 ~ same part number. Lesson learned is try other honda dealers first.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Now that is surprising since my honda GVX690 uses the same part number as the Civic, which came as a big surprise to my dealer who was paying his dealer more then double! From my Honda car dealer the filter is CDN $10.85, dealer cost to me $41.25 ~ same part number. Lesson learned is try other honda dealers first.

All comes down to logistics.
Honda car warehouses run at a hot higher volume and profit levels than Honda mower shops so the cost of storing & getting the filter to the car parts counter is a lot less than the cost of getting the exact same filter to the mower shop counter.
Those outside warehousing & transport find it difficult to understand that warehousing & distribution can account for anything as much as 70% of the wholesale price the shops pay.
This is another reason why stuff from China can be so chap.
No local warehousing or distribution network.
Directly from the factory to the shop.

Down here JD runs he mower section as a part of the farm equipment section so they piggyback with big tractors, headders etc.
Thus down here the exact same part with JD wrapper can be as low as 1/3 the price of exactly the same part in a different brand wrapper.

Husqvarna charge $ 12 for a front axel cap either black or orange
JD charge $ 3.75 for the exact same part only coloured yellow

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I know many folks on this forum DON'T care for FRAM filters, that's their choice, Personally I've NEVER had a problem with them, anyway, here are some of their SPEC. charts found in this 2012 product guide....

FILTER SPECS.PNG ....... This is a typical page from link below....
open the link and goto .. Full Flow Oil-Spin On click on that and scroll for specs.

http://www.autolite.nl/bougies/pdf/FRAM2012.pdf

http://www.fram.com/parts-search/