I installed an hour meter in my new Hustler Raptor

John WD

Threads
Here is the picture. It is looking at the dash panel from the rear. The wires are tight so I couldn't lift the panel up very high. They existing wires were just under the panel when I removed the bolt and lifted it up. I didn't connect anything to that extra male connector on the hour meter. But the meter works great just like it is installed now. The connecting wires don't give much slack. I'll have to push the connectors back on tighter after I lower the panel back down.

My mower is a 2015 52" Hustler Raptor.

Hustler Hourmeter connectors by John Danley, on Flickr

John WD

Threads
Here are a couple more photos. There were bits of the panel that I trimmed sticking down that made the photo sort of confusing. So I removed those little pieces and took a couple more photos.

As you can see they don't give you much slack in the cables. I'll have to push all the plugs back on when I lower the panel back down.

DSC_7534 by John Danley, on Flickr

DSC_7533 by John Danley, on Flickr

PVHIII

Threads
Here are a couple more photos. There were bits of the panel that I trimmed sticking down that made the photo sort of confusing. So I removed those little pieces and took a couple more photos.

As you can see they don't give you much slack in the cables. I'll have to push all the plugs back on when I lower the panel back down.

My Mom law's is a 2013 model or maybe 2014...but either way there are no extra wire's coming from the harness like you have there...guess I'll have to hit a a buddy or maybe my bro in law can hook it up...if not off to the dealer she will go.

PVHIII

Threads

Thanks again for your assistance :)

Kremeneon

Threads
The orange wire is just switched 12V, and the black is ground, easily picked up somewhere.

Kelvininin

Threads
The orange wire is just switched 12V, and the black is ground, easily picked up somewhere.

Beat me to it....

It's just a signal wire as well so it can be a very light gauge wire

FortyNiner

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you thank you!

I ordered the Husqvarna meter 576179401 online for $18.63 + $8 shipping.

Using your directions it was a breeze to install on my brand new 42" Hustler Raptor. I really like having an hour meter to determine maintenance intervals.

Isn't it great to benefit from the pioneering efforts of other people?

turboawd

Threads
this is one of those features where, how much could hustler be saving by not installing it? even cheap box store machines have hour meters. they're better off cutting corners else where. lol

Bamacat

Forum Newbie
Threads
How in the world would an owner keep the proper maintenance on his machine without an hour meter? Wear a stopwatch?
Question : Does the new meter you installed continue to run if switch is turned on without starting engine ? Maybe another reason to remove key when not operating.

Kelvininin

Threads
this is one of those features where, how much could hustler be saving by not installing it? even cheap box store machines have hour meters. they're better off cutting corners else where. lol

I love this particular argument when it comes to manufacturing. The answer is never that simple but the better question is, how much will Hustler make but not including this particular and other options.

To make a long story short, I believe the decision to leave the hour meter off, likely resulted in a million plus savings in annual manufacturing cost, while creating a need in the aftermarket arena. At the Raptors price point, I would be willing to bet that Hustler isn't making much per unit. They want a foot in the door in the entry level zero turn market which is highly competitive with many options. So they made the decisions to leave all, or most of the "nice to haves" off of the Raptor.

As for they "how do you know when to do maintenance" question, how many mowers, or anything with an engine have you owned that have an hour meter? My pushmower doesn't have them, nor does my brother in laws, open bow I/O. Many cars and trucks don't have them despite time being a much better indicator of oil life. I can pull a dipstick on most gas powered things and tell you if you need to change the oil or not.

Many manufacturers leave off stuff owners think should be there, it creates a whole aftermarket industry. Heck, cars use to be sold bare bones and where customized at the dealer before sale.