Dixon SpeedZTR - clutch kicking out

erupert66

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Dixon Speed ZTR 46" mower that I bought new 2 seasons ago. About 71 total hours. Mow 2.75 acres.

I few weeks ago it threw the spring off for the pulley. Every since then, after about 30-45 min of mowing, it acts like the clutch is kicking out momentarily as you hear the blade speed decrease for a few seconds then return. Since it doesn't happen right away, I am not thinking that it's an electrical connection. If I let the mower sit for about 10-15 min before resuming mowing, all is well again for awhile. Anyone with experience on these mowers here? I am looking for suggestions.

Thanks

Jack17

Threads
All I can tell you is this...Dixon comes with 3 year homeowner warranty...you better use it while it lasts!
BTW, very nice machine you got there.:thumbsup:

P.S.
my Gravely did the same thing ones...the belt was worn out. Pulley was bouncing too much.

erupert66

Forum Newbie
Threads
Some more info -

This is a 2010 model (was sitting at a dealer for awhile I guess) so there is no warranty.

This seems to be heat related. It runs great from cold for about 30 - 45 min. Once the problem starts, if you let the mower cool for a bit (15-30 min), you can mow again for awhile but for a much shorter time. If you let it set overnight, you can mow again for up to 45 min or so. The problem first started when my kid let the grass get really long and so he was probably mowing quite fast in the deep grass. I am thinking it's the clutch and I found through some research that these are now really Husqvarna. I saw that clutches overheating seem to be a problem. I also saw on a eBay a replacement that has the pulley spun from billet aluminum.

I hate throwing money away on trying suspect parts but this is a pretty simple system. Belt or clutch seems like the only two culprits. Opinions?

Opinions on this part if clutch is most likely - Husqvarna 287301 Electric PTO Blade Clutch Upgrade | eBay

Thanks!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First the warrantee period is from the date on your receipt.
Next check your belt for a badly worn section.

erupert66

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well, the dealer this AM told me that Dixon residential went to 2 years back in '08. Two years was 4 days ago. I understand it all Husqvarna anyway. I checked the belt and I don't see any obvious signs of wear. I'll call the place I bought it from tomorrow and see what they say as far as warranty. They are quite a bit farther than the closest dealer to me.

They offered no advice other than "bring it in". Still struggling with the belt being the culprit as it works great when cool and only once it's been cutting for 30-45 min does it start acting up.

erupert66

Forum Newbie
Threads
Put a new belt on, that wasn't it but now I know. The positive wire to the clutch must have been fatiguing. It kicked off completely and when I went to look at the plug, the wire popped off. I cannot figure out how to get the plug out. Any Dixon / Husqvarna people know? Almost seems molded in. 2010 SpeedZTR 42