Walk behind Carb cleaning question

Steve S

Forum Newbie
Threads
New guy here. I've got a Craftsman 6 hp push mower. I'm not that knowledgeable about engines, but through trial and error and watching lots of Youtube videos I've gotten to the point where I can take apart the carb and clean it out pretty well. I've even replaced the plastic tube that runs up the middle (name?) as well as primer bulb.

One thing I haven't figured out is how to remove the silver disc (see pic) and clean inside. I assume that is how I get access to those teeny holes visible in the throat of the carb. I've managed to get a fine copper wire into the holes by approaching through the throat, but I'd like to do a more thorough job of cleaning in there. I've looked at lots of repair videos on the web but haven't seen any that get into this. Part of the problem is that I don't know what the disc is called so I don't know what to search for. There's a similar disc on the underside of the carb.

So can someone explain what to do here or point me to some place that explains it. Is there a special tool that's needed. Thanks a bunch.

Steve S

Attachments

• carb.jpg
    carb.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 19

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
IMHO, you really don't want to go removing that. Once out, it may not pop back in. If it does, it may not STAY in. Kinda risky to be all OCD about making sure every crevice is clean.

Just my :2cents:

Steve S

Forum Newbie
Threads
IMHO, you really don't want to go removing that.

You make it sound so mysterious.

Once out, it may not pop back in. If it does, it may not STAY in. Kinda risky to be all OCD about making sure every crevice is clean.

It's not OCD, just a desire to get the carb as clean as possible.

I found this video where the guy shows what to do...sort of.
YouTube - Tecumseh 5hp Carb rebuild Pt 1
(It's at 8:00) He mentions using a punch set. Is that something specific to repairing lawnmowers, or is he talking about the type of thing you'd use to set a nail. Would a piece of wood dowel work?

Steve S

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
You make it sound so mysterious.

It's not OCD, just a desire to get the carb as clean as possible.

I found this video where the guy shows what to do...sort of.
YouTube - Tecumseh 5hp Carb rebuild Pt 1
(It's at 8:00) He mentions using a punch set. Is that something specific to repairing lawnmowers, or is he talking about the type of thing you'd use to set a nail. Would a piece of wood dowel work?

Steve S

Yes, a nail punch. NOT a dowel. Go ahead and mess with it - but when you post again because it doesn't work - or that plug falls out - or the hole you make lets in more dirt than you'll ever get out - I will be the first to say "I told you so". :biggrin:

I'd leave it alone (that part), and put three or five of capfuls of in-tank carb cleaner in a 5 gallon can of gas (or one capful in your tank, if it's at least a gallon). It'll clean up nice, without unsealing what was never meant to be gotten to (that's why it's not a threaded cap-or obvoiusly removeable).

Steve S

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes, a nail punch. NOT a dowel. Go ahead and mess with it - but when you post again because it doesn't work - or that plug falls out - or the hole you make lets in more dirt than you'll ever get out - I will be the first to say "I told you so". :biggrin:

I'd leave it alone (that part), and put three or five of capfuls of in-tank carb cleaner in a 5 gallon can of gas (or one capful in your tank, if it's at least a gallon). It'll clean up nice, without unsealing what was never meant to be gotten to (that's why it's not a threaded cap-or obvoiusly removeable).

Thanks, I'll try the cleaner. Is there a particular brand to look for? I'm not sure how big the tank is, but my gas jug is 2 gallons. If I add a capfull to one gallon, is it okay for that stuff to sit in the jug for a few weeks til the gas is used up?

Steve S

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks, I'll try the cleaner. Is there a particular brand to look for? I'm not sure how big the tank is, but my gas jug is 2 gallons. If I add a capfull to one gallon, is it okay for that stuff to sit in the jug for a few weeks til the gas is used up?

Steve S

I like Gummout. But STP or whatever, as long as it specs out carburetors, is fine. I'd use 3 or 4 in a 2 gallon can. Good, overflowing caps. It's not critical - as long as you don't dump half the container in 2 gallons..... It'll be fine to use in anything for as long as the gas is good. You did a great job of cleaning already - just the gummout should take care of anything you might have missed, or couldn't get to.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
twall has given you great advice, naturally.

Don't remove those caps. :smile:KennyV

BTW Welcome to LMF....

Steve S

Forum Newbie
Threads
Don't remove those caps. :smile:KennyV

You realize, don't you, that the more you guys say "don't", the more it makes me want to.:biggrin:
Maybe in the fall when I don't need it for a while. I can always take it into the repair place down the street.

BTW Welcome to LMF....

Thanks.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'll try the cleaner. Is there a particular brand to look for?
I've never used Gumout because I really like B12 Chemtool. It seems to cleanout even the nastiest stuff. It will burn the He!! out of your hands and fingers, so don't get too far from a faucet or use gloves. Be careful not to get it in your eyes. Where safety glasses when spraying that stuff, and avoid inhaling any of the vapors..... seriously! be careful!

You realize, don't you, that the more you guys say "don't", the more it makes me want to.

Be sure to spray the carb cleaner directly into your face and rinse with more carb cleaner.

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
That is a welch plug covering the transition ports for the idle side of the carb. I take a small drill bit and carefully drill through it but be careful not to let the drill bit drop in too far otherwise it will damage the little holes behind it and may not run right afterwards. insert a punch into the hole that you created and pry the plug out. clean with a good spray type carb cleaner and a replacement plug comes in the carb repair kit. just set the new plug back in place and flatten with a flat punch large enough to cover the entire with of the welch plug. then seal with fingernail polish. removing that plug is part of cleaning the carb on tecumseh engines.