ventrac 4200

Eric Parton

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi. New to the forum. I have a 4200 that I bought that was stripped of the motor and pto. It was the 31hp td but I'm thinking of switching it to the 27 hp kawasaki. I think it will be fine but wanted some input from some owners. Also I don't know what the rear of the engine looks like and was wondering if anyone had good pics of the pto assembly. Thanks eric

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
That TD was a problem engine. I'd go with the Briggs/Daihtsu 3 cyl. Gas Liquid cooled. They seem to run forever.

GOOD LUCK !

Raw Dodge

Threads
I agree with BK,the 31 td was the lemon of the ventrac lineup, but advertised as the pinnacle...I have some pics of the back of the engine I will post them as soon as I dig them up..the Briggs diahtsu is a very compact engine for it's displacement and power,I recommend you replace with the 26.5 NA diesel ,you can hardly tell the difference between the turbo and non turbo versions..the turbo model was an afterthought and never ran to it's full potential ,it didn't have the cooling capacity for the water cooled turbo,and it wasn't designed for the pressures of turbocharging, the 31 gas if you can find one,were the best of that series,but they are very scarce and expensive.Your not likely to be able to replace the briggs 3lc with a 3cyl liquid cooled from a competitor like kubota without dropping down to a 21-25hp level..if I went with a v twin ,I would pass on the 27 kawi,the vanguard 31 air cooled was factory installed and you could do a 31-35 hp depending on spec number.Parts are readily available and it's a good torquey engine , parts are hard to get for the kawi engines and early ones had issues with carburation and engine life..due to low oil pressure.