Looking to buy 33" Walk Behind

Kevlmx

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've been borrowing an older 33" Troy Bilt (pre MTD) for the past few years. I really enjoy the time savings and performance but now have to buy my own mower. The yard is less than 1/2 acre with moderate hills. I can't go back to a standard push mower after being spoiled.

There do not appear to be many options especially since my budget is limited. There seems to be multiple variations of a Cub Cadet 33" sold as Craftsman, etc, a Simplicity Pacer and Billy Goat

I prefer owning the Cub Cadet brand over a Craftsman due to the fact it's sold through power equipment dealers who service the model. Im hesitant with the Cub Cadet because the electric start version has a "Cub Cadet" engine with more power than the recoil start which has a Briggs. I dont need electric start but wonder if the engine is any good.

The Simplicity seems to be very nice quality but the pricing is above me budget. I've heard many downsides for the Billy Goat as well.

Are there any other models that I'm unaware of? I wish there was a $1600 mower that was a nice blend of value and quality.

Any input is appreciated.

Kev

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I prefer owning the Cub Cadet brand over a Craftsman due to the fact it's sold through power equipment dealers who service the model. Im hesitant with the Cub Cadet because the electric start version has a "Cub Cadet" engine with more power than the recoil start which has a Briggs. I dont need electric start but wonder if the engine is any good.

I'm not following this part... "has a "Cub Cadet" engine"
Cub Cadet has never made any engine... What are you referring to? :smile:KennyV

Kevlmx

Forum Newbie
Threads
That's exactly the issue. Cub Cadet does not make an engine so I assume its some import rather than a known Briggs. Is it safe to say the Briggs engine is a higher quality?

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
I wouldn't say that a B&S is a higher QUALITY compared to, say, a Kawasaki. But compared to a Tecumseh, B&S is TWICE the engine IMHO.......

But, they are easier to work on and get parts for when they break - and they ALL eventually break.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Exactly what twall said...

BTW just because it is imported doesn't male it bad... there has been a lot of spectacular imported products... & some less than spectacular...

The Cub Cadet you prefer... What engine is on it?? :smile:KennyV

LandN

Threads
HEY KEVLMX,...i owned 2 of the older trobilt 33" mowers and there were fair to cut with. longer grass was an issue because leaving a center strip,seemed to hide better when cutting it shorter...i have also cut with the new craftsman 33" mower (the red model) it cuts a lot better,the mower blades have been further overlapped .the other craftsman 33" mower(yellow and black) gets you a larger motor and an hour meter and headlight and electric start. I would opt for that one over the red craftsman model just for the engine size alone. i have seen the cub cadet 33" models which also look decent .i'm not sure but they might run the "lct" chinese engine,and over the course of 2 years have heard many pro and con opinions on them especially in the snowblower equipment.... the issues that i had with all the 33" mowers was broke the trans housing on one troy bilt (threw it off the truck:mad:) and belts were always coming off. now the sears craftsman had a broken cable at the "S" hook at the handle grips which was repaired by the sears mobile home service(warrantee) and the trans was fried inside and that was also fixed by the sears mobile home service van(warrantee) this craftsman was also bought used ,not new, so i dont know how the previous owner treated it. but buying a brand new craftsman or cub cadet 33" mower and taking good care of it should last a long time on a residential yard

Kevlmx

Forum Newbie
Threads
Bought a 33" Cub Cadet today. Electric start 420 cc engine.

LandN

Threads
Bought a 33" Cub Cadet today. Electric start 420 cc engine.

awesome,......test it out and do a full report. i'm interested in hearing about it.:thumbsup:

Kevlmx

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hope the electric start engine is the right choice. It's either a 420cc electric start "Cub Cadet" engine with oil filter but no ability to even pull start if the electric start craps out, or a 344cc pull start Briggs engine for $150 less. Time will tell if it's the right decision.