Hustler Raptor SD Hysraulic Oil

MLM

Forum Newbie
Threads
Trying to refill hydraulic oil through reservoir on 48 inch Hustler Raptor SD. Drained oil and replaced filters.Poured about 2/3 of a quart of oil in reservoir and it will not go down. Any suggestions?

Tta197

Threads
You have to remove the Allen head plug towards the top of each Hydro-gear so the oil in the reservoir will flow down. You'll need about 4 1/2 quarts of oil. You will know when each of the Hydro-gears are full when oil starts to overflow out of the Allen head plug port. I usually leave about an 1/8 of an inch of oil in the reservoir when I put the plugs back on.

Don't put too much oil in the reservoir when you're done servicing it, about 1/8" to 1/4" is all you need to see in the reservoir. The oil will expand when it's hot and start fill up the reservoir.

MLM

Forum Newbie
Threads
You have to remove the Allen head plug towards the top of each Hydro-gear so the oil in the reservoir will flow down. You'll need about 4 1/2 quarts of oil. You will know when each of the Hydro-gears are full when oil starts to overflow out of the Allen head plug port. I usually leave about an 1/8 of an inch of oil in the reservoir when I put the plugs back on.

Don't put too much oil in the reservoir when you're done servicing it, about 1/8" to 1/4" is all you need to see in the reservoir. The oil will expand when it's hot and start fill up the reservoir.

Thanks!

dkocian

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you don't mind my asking, what size allen wrench is used to fit the Top Port Plug? Also, any suggestion on how to get to it? I have busted every knuckle trying to get an allen wrench in to the plug.

Tta197

Threads
I used a 1/4" Allen on a socket style bit with a ratchet and an extension.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    37 KB · Views: 43

Doug44

Threads
If you don't mind my asking, what size allen wrench is used to fit the Top Port Plug? Also, any suggestion on how to get to it? I have busted every knuckle trying to get an allen wrench in to the plug.

This is what I did I removed the deck to get into it from the front. I was very concerned the first time I serviced these hydro drives trying to figure out the correct size wrench and to get it squarely and deeply inserted into the plug heads. You don't even want to think about stripping these plug heads you will never get them out !! Also my right hand side plug and filter were both put on by a gorilla :thumbdown::thumbdown: . What should only be a 1/2 hr job the first time turned into more like 4 hrs. At least I didn't strip the heads and all ended well. I am also glad I bought a 5 qt jug of oil as i used most of it despite the specs that say 4qts. Good luck, take your time and if you are like me about half way through this job the dealer charge to do this was starting to look good hawr :laughing:

Tta197

Threads
Sounds like it worked out well for you Doug, nice job.
FYI though, I removed the plugs from the rear; used an extension, ratchet and socket/Allen bit. I went in between the drive belt for the deck blades. :smile:

Doug44

Threads
Sounds like it worked out well for you Doug, nice job.
FYI though, I removed the plugs from the rear; used an extension, ratchet and socket/Allen bit. I went in between the drive belt for the deck blades. :smile:

Yes your way is the best way IMO however for the first time to make 100% sure I had the correct size wrench and get the best visual on the plug I found the front afford me the best view. Also the thread I replied too he mentioned skinning up his hands etc and there are less sharp objects coming in from the front.

Not something I like doing but my dealer gets $65 for in city pickup (I live less than 2 mi from his business) plus he had the parts marked up over 2x what I could get them on the web, in addition I am sure at least $100 labor for this job. I would like to support him and after questioning him on the price of the filters $29.95 ea he and I struck an compromise $14.95 ea and I went ahead and bought a oil filter and Kaw syn oil from him at a fair price.

Good 1 Brian

Threads
This is what I did I removed the deck to get into it from the front.

Was it necessary to remove the deck ? I ask the dealer when I purchase my Raptor last month about removing the deck , he suggested on zero turn mowers if it's not necessary not to remove it .

Tta197

Threads
I used this filter I bought on Amazon for under $11 made in the USA for the hydrogears. Stens 120-738 Exmark 109-3321 Transmission Filter. Sorry, you'll have to copy and paste it.

Last edited: