Murray Riding Mower wont start.

bjohnson85

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was given this mower last summer by my grandparents, it has been garage/shed kept since they purchased it from walmart (i believe in 97). it has always ran great, never had any issues until a week ago. i went to start it and it was 100% dead. i put the battery on charge, tried again, nothing. i then went to walmart and got a new battery. put it on mower, still dead. i did run a search online for likely problems. i did jump a wire from the positive terminal on battery to the starter solenoid (as directed on the search result [google]). when i touched the starter solenoid it made a click sound. thats it. i since then have replaced the starter solenoid and still does the same thing. (here is the starter solenoid i was directed to purchase and install - Amazon.com: Murray 7701100MA Starter Solenoid for Lawn Mowers: Patio, Lawn & Garden ).

Information
Its a Murray Riding Mower, Briggs and Stratton Engine.
12.5 HP
40" Blade
Model # 40504x92

bjohnson85

Forum Newbie
Threads
o yeah, i have checked all connections that ive seen and everything looks ok. i have cleaned all terminals and plugs.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
sounds like it could be a bad connector on the clutch switch or the clutch switch itself or the pto safety switch . I would check all the safety switches

bjohnson85

Forum Newbie
Threads
well, tonight i had a friend stop by, he did some testing on it and decided it was the starter, he took it off and opened it up, and wouldnt ya know the magnets inside were completely shattered. it looks like someone smashed it with a hammer, not just a tap.

well, ive been online looking to get a new starter but no luck. are starters for this model universal? or model specific? where can i get it????

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
are starters for this model universal? or model specific? where can i get it????

Starters are Engine specific.... check online, Ebay usually has most starters at good prices... :smile:KennyV