How do I know which mulching kit I need?

jsmith24

Threads
Hi guys!

I picked up a 1996 Craftsman riding mower for $50 (a steal), and it's all in good shape except for the blades. It's a standard 42 inch side-discharging deck and I want to put a mulching kit on: how do I know which one I need? I've seen them all around the 'Net, with two blades and a discharge plug, but they all seem to have different part/model numbers.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jack

Jim1590

Threads
My lt1000 has a part numbers accessory list on a sticker inside the hood. You can also get the manual based on the model number online.

Jack17

Threads
Hi guys!

I picked up a 1996 Craftsman riding mower for $50 (a steal), and it's all in good shape except for the blades...

Jack

So, you're planning on riding it like you stole it? I wouldn't. You gonna overwork the old Craftsman with the mulching kit and it'll blow up in your face! :cool:

jsmith24

Threads
So, you're planning on riding it like you stole it? I wouldn't. You gonna overwork the old Craftsman with the mulching kit and it'll blow up in your face! :cool:

Hey Jack!

How so? I've still got my '95 MTD, 12.5 HP, 38" with its mulching kit and she's still going strong! I don't even have that large a yard, to be honest, I just had to switch to a rider a few years ago because one of my lovely students crushed three discs in my spine and I ended up with a fusion, and pain for life. The only thing overworked around here is ME. :biggrin:

Thanks,

Jack

jsmith24

Threads
I just got the manual, and it shows it actually came with mulching blades originally, but the plug was optional. The problem I have now is - I've found several kits with the right blade, but the plug part number doesn't match. I'm wondering if the old number got superseded. Is there anywhere to find a cross-reference? The original part was 141112.

Thanks,

Jack

Jim1590

Threads
Amazon says 141112 is a husqvarna mulch part....

Least that's what I am finding

Jack17

Threads
Hey Jack!

How so?

Honestly, I wasn't ready for a follow up question! :biggrin:

See maybe Oregon makes some aftermarket mulch blades for it.
They make good stuff!