How long does a lithium battery last?

lewb

Threads
I have had deWalt and Milwaukee Lithium battery packs, I have noticed that the batteries lose run time as the number of charging cycles increase. Lithium are much improved over the Nicad batteries. I am wondering if for example I run a 19 inch lawn mower say 15 to 20 times a season, will i have to replace the batteries every year or will they last 2 seasons, If I would ever change to an battery powered mower I would have to consider the cost of replacement batteries.

Jack17

Threads
LIB lifetimes consist of 1000 cycles, although battery performance is rarely specified for more than 500 cycles or so...the producers say? Trick is to not to charge them below 40F (room temp if possible) and don't let them freeze in the winter.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have had deWalt and Milwaukee Lithium battery packs, I have noticed that the batteries lose run time as the number of charging cycles increase. Lithium are much improved over the Nicad batteries. I am wondering if for example I run a 19 inch lawn mower say 15 to 20 times a season, will i have to replace the batteries every year or will they last 2 seasons, If I would ever change to an battery powered mower I would have to consider the cost of replacement batteries.

Most of the electric mower makers warranty the battery for the same length as the mower. On some mowers the battery is about as expensive as the mower itself. I think it is EGO that is offering a 5 battery warranty with their mowers.

MowerMike

Threads
Most of the electric mower makers warranty the battery for the same length as the mower. I think it is EGO that is offering a 5 battery warranty with their mowers.

I think Kobalt (Lowe's) and Echo are as well.

Yanni6

Forum Newbie
Threads
Most of the electric mower makers warranty the battery for the same length as the mower. On some mowers the battery is about as expensive as the mower itself. I think it is EGO that is offering a 5 battery warranty with their mowers.

Ego offers a 5 year mower warranty and a 3 year battery warranty

retfr8flyr

Threads
I have been through several different brands of lithium battery tools and they all seem to last about the same amount of time. I think heat, charging and discharging is the big killer for them. After doing a lot of research, I think EGO has a battery design the should hold up a lot longer than previous designs. I just got their 56v string trimmer and blower and these are the first cordless lawn tools that stack right up thee with the gas powered version. The new mower is also getting rave reviews. I hope I am correct about the battery design, as I am tired of buying replacement batteries, or new tools because they usually cost less then the replacement battery's.

seanathen

Threads
I have all the Kobalt tools (except the blower) including the mower, and I have a Saturday lawn/yardwork route in Vegas (so it's hot in summer, cold in winter). I have been doing it for 2 years with no battery degredation that I have noticed. AND, it has a 5 year no questions asked warranty at Lowes. When I got the chainsaw, the tensioner stopped working after about 4 months (like 5 uses). They replaced it immediately, to my door, no questions. The batteries are included in this warranty BTW. Would highly recommend the Kobalt tools. Wish they made a backpack blower, I'd buy that too. It's my only gas tool, and it's the Husky 150BT. Don't get me wrong, love the Husky, but I'd rather be all electric if I could, my wrists just can't do a handheld blower.