Solenoid Post Melted Off

teamssc

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Cub LX1050. Probably about 2004 with a Kohler 23 HP engine. It's always started and run fine till starting it up this spring. I couldn't get it to start very easily. even after draining the gas and putting in fresh (I had treated it with Sea Foam). So I've only had it out 1 night this year and everytime I mow I have to use starter fluid. That is till it just wouldn't start. After stepping through some diagnostics I found on the internet I discovered one post had melted off of the solenoid. What causes that? I've ordered a new solenoid and don't want to repeat this processes.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A loose wire or corroded connection will generate a lot of heat.
Continued long burst of engine cranking causes even more heat.
More than enough to melt the plastic.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
A loose wire or corroded connection will generate a lot of heat.
Continued long burst of engine cranking causes even more heat.
More than enough to melt the plastic.

Very good answer

teamssc

Forum Newbie
Threads
That helps. I was really having to crank it. Also I will track and clean all of the connections. At least I'll know to be more carefull. Thanks!

So do the old Chevy and Ford solenoids have this problem? Someone mentioned using one of those in another thread.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Car solenoids are a lot more robust as car starters draw a lt more amps .
however your starter is noi and they are expens=nsive so fix the starting problems first.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
That helps. I was really having to crank it. Also I will track and clean all of the connections. At least I'll know to be more carefull. Thanks!

So do the old Chevy and Ford solenoids have this problem? Someone mentioned using one of those in another thread.

Ford uses the same style solenoid but not Chevrolet. Any switch, solenoid, or electrical connection will over heat if loose or corroded. My suggestion is use the right solenoid for your mower so you don't have any problems rewiring it.

teamssc

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ford uses the same style solenoid but not Chevrolet. Any switch, solenoid, or electrical connection will over heat if loose or corroded. My suggestion is use the right solenoid for your mower so you don't have any problems rewiring it.

Sounds good. Standing down on the car solenoid. Got the OEM solenoid today. Hope to get it on tonight if the weather holds.