Toro self propel problem

wwall10383

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Toro GTS-5 self propelled rear wheel drive mower that's 13 yrs old. The left rear wheel will not fully engage. The right rear wheel engages so the mower pulls to the left. I took off the differential cover and all the gears look fine. I pulled each wheel and the pinion gear and rocker key look fine but when the left wheel is under pressure, it won't engage. Does anyone have any suggestions. I greased the wheels already.

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey there! WELCOME to LawnMowerForum! :biggrin:

I moved your thread to the Toro Forum. You'll get a better response there. :thumbsup:

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a Toro GTS-5 self propelled rear wheel drive mower that's 13 yrs old. The left rear wheel will not fully engage. The right rear wheel engages so the mower pulls to the left. I took off the differential cover and all the gears look fine. I pulled each wheel and the pinion gear and rocker key look fine but when the left wheel is under pressure, it won't engage. Does anyone have any suggestions. I greased the wheels already.
I am not familiar with this tractor or it's drivetrain, but I can suggest you remove the suspect axel and examine it and how it is attached to the wheel. Perhaps there is something wrong there or a bearing/bushing on the axel shaft or wheel has failed.
Sounds as though the differential assembly is fairly sophisticated, comparatively speaking. (Most self propelled mowers are front wheel drive using only one wheel).
Perhaps you could post some pictures of what you have dissembled so far.

wwall10383

Forum Newbie
Threads
It appears I solved the problem and I may have been the one who caused it. I had adjusted the wheel height just before the wheel stopped engaging and it apparrently did not lock into place. All I did is readjust the the height again and it appears to be working now. Time will tell. The good thing is I discovered there are grease fittings behind each wheel I never knew existed that I discovered while working on it. Therefore I probably saved myself problems down the road by greasing them.