Walker MCGHS

haydad

Threads
Belongs to a neighbor. He starts it by spraying Starter Fluid into the engine and once is starts to run, he plays with the Choke to help to keep it going until it runs on its own. This is the only way to start the system.

He is not mechanically inclined and said I could have a shot at correcting this issue. I know nothing about the Walker. Have some experience with car engines. Would appreciate any help to resolve this issue.

Thank you.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sounds like possibly a two step problem. Make sure the choke is closing all the way for one thing. And may try removing and cleaning the carb, may have a partially clogged jet.

haydad

Threads
Thanks ILENGINE for the reply. I'll check both.

Before I get started, how much disassembly will have to be done to do both?

haydad

Threads
I have not been able to find the engine number. The only thing that can be seen is OHC. Looked where the service manual indicates the information should be an all that can be seen is 24-499.

IMG_1312.jpgIMG_1313.jpgIMG_1317.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1317.jpg
    IMG_1317.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1318.jpg
    IMG_1318.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 10

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Take the clamp loose that is holding the cables, and pull the choke cable to make sure the choke is closing all the way. the carb is under that turtle shell looking piece. with it removed it shouldn't be to bad to remove the carb if needed.

the OHC is the triad engine model number will start with TH the model number tag could be low on the blower housing, or in some cases may be faded to the point it can't be read. The Triad engine was somewhat of the problem child engine for kohler back in the late 90's early 2000's because it had a habit of dropping cylinder sleeves into the crankcase.

The triad was a external dry timing belt system that also runs the oil pump. The pump is no longer available and has a habit of wearing the gear on the shaft, causing it to fail.

haydad

Threads
Thanks for the additional info. If it were my unit i would not hesitate to take it apart.

"...wearing the gear on the shaft, causing it to fail", Cause what to fail, the engine or the pump? The owner will be glad to hear that. The upside is he does not use it but once in awhile. The sliding sleeve is nice feature....not.

FYI - I was raised just up the street from you, in Little Chicago, Peoria. Before my time that was it's nick name it had earned, and it was not a compliment.

Thanks again.

haydad

Threads
Choke is closed all the way when starting. I was a bit hesitant to take the carburetor apart as it is not mine. I will got the owners OK first.

In the meantime, I was able to get it going using engine starter fluid. Ran it for about 3 to 4 hours and each time it was turned off during this period, it started right up. Turned it off. The next day, after it cooled, I lifted the engine cover and washed and picked all the dead leaves and grass out of the engine compartment. Now I cannot get it to turn over. All it does, when the key is turned on, is click, one click. The same type of noise heard when the starter on a car spins in but won't turn the engine. Put the charger on the battery in the event the battery was weak. Charged for 24 hours, volt meter indicated it was charged to the max. Still will not turn the engine, Still hearing the click when the key is turned. Tried rocking the mower to possible disengage the starter, if the starter is the stuck but no luck. Can not push the mower either. It is out of gear and the brake is off when trying to push the mower. Noise is coming from under the engine.

Your thoughts.

Thank you.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks for the additional info. If it were my unit i would not hesitate to take it apart.

"...wearing the gear on the shaft, causing it to fail", Cause what to fail, the engine or the pump? The owner will be glad to hear that. The upside is he does not use it but once in awhile. The sliding sleeve is nice feature....not.

FYI - I was raised just up the street from you, in Little Chicago, Peoria. Before my time that was it's nick name it had earned, and it was not a compliment.

Thanks again.

Well if the oil pump stops working the engine will follow suit not long after.

haydad

Threads
Looked at it again today to see what else that could be learned.

Oil is full. Removed the battery wires, cleaned the wire terminations, showed some rust, and the posts. No improvement. When the key is turned on, with one hand on the starter relay the clicking sound that is heard, could be felt at this point. Additionally, the mower can not be moved. It is locked up. Something is locked up, hope it is not the engine. Plus, it was running fine when it was turned off. I'm thinking the starter "cog" is stuck on the "fly wheel", or the starter solenoid is broken. It does not sound like the solenoid is spinning in. As soon as the key is turned the click is immediate. Tried rocking the mower to free the starter cog, no luck.

Please keep in mind I have no experience with this system so what is being reported maybe normal operation.

What other things or test can be checked before the system is taken apart? Based on the information provided, does it point to the starter or the started solenoid?

Thank you.