CMM1200: testing battery

ilyaz

Threads
Happy to have found this forum! This is my 1st post.

I am in the process of switching from a gas mower to an electrical one. I already have a corded mower that runs fine but recently I got a curb fine: a CMM1200 mower with all the goodies: a charger, an extra blade etc etc. Figured if I can get it to work it'll be easier to convince my teen kids to mow the lawn (and would be a bit safer too as they would not have to deal with the cord).

Turns out the original (orange) charger is dead. I bought this replacement. One weekend I charged the battery overnight and it seemed to work fine and have enough juice to last for my entire ~0.25 acre lot.

This morning I charged it for several hours but after that it only ran for less than a minute and then stopped. I will charge it overnight and try again tomorrow. But I also want to see if the battery is going kaput. What's the right way of testing a battery? I saw some mentions of measuring it "without load" and "under load". How do I do that? Also, what should the measurements be for a normal battery and what's considered a sign of a dead battery?

Thx muxh!

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
There is a battery tester that I have used in some of the larger shops I have worked in. It tells your what the voltage is and then you put the battery under a load and how long the battery will hold that load. You might take it to a dealer or NAPA and maybe they could test your battery for you? As for myself any cordless equipment I have found that the battery cost so much I find it is just as cheap or cheaper to throw it away and buy the whole thing new. ( curb find) I determine this when the battery just wouldn't operate the equipment anymore for any amount of time.

ilyaz

Threads
It tells your what the voltage is and then you put the battery under a load and how long the battery will hold that load. You might take it to a dealer or NAPA and maybe they could test your battery for you?

Great thanks. If this is just a matter of measuring voltage with the machine off and then on, maybe I can do it with just my multimeter without any special tools.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Great thanks. If this is just a matter of measuring voltage with the machine off and then on, maybe I can do it with just my multimeter without any special tools.

Yes it will only give you a rough idea. The tester I am talking about puts the battery under a much higher load then the machine will.. You have nothing to lose