Repairs fuel delivery problem?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Re: fuel delivery problem? - NOW Throttle problem!

It seems to be controlled by some mechanism inside the crankcase. I don't know how it is supposed to work, but whatever it is, it is not working properly right now.

Does anyone know how to do this? Preferably without taking apart the whole engine which I am not that interested in doing.

That is the governor... it normally holds the throttle open, then as engine RPM increases it will start to close the throttle plate... Is the linkage hooked up properly, (has it ever been removed, and replaced wrong?)
:smile:KennyV

mowerboy

Forum Newbie
Threads
That is the governor... it normally holds the throttle open, then as engine RPM increases it will start to close the throttle plate... Is the linkage hooked up properly, (has it ever been removed, and replaced wrong?)
:smile:KennyV

Yes, it is the governor. Thank you.

I did a little research and found this page on the B&S website: Governor System FAQ that explains how it works. So I went back to look at my mower and voilà :biggrin:! For some reason, the spring that is supposed to pull the throttle open is completely missing on my mower! I got this mower used, I guess the previous owner must have played around with it for some reason. So now I will just have to buy the spring, and hopefully it will be up and running.

Thanks for your help guys!

Last edited:

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
The briggs and stratton engines I have worked on have a fuel pickup tube that gos into the gas tank. Make sure this has not falled off. Seeing it runs ok when you tilt it ,it sure sound like this is the case?

mowerboy

Forum Newbie
Threads
The briggs and stratton engines I have worked on have a fuel pickup tube that gos into the gas tank. Make sure this has not falled off. Seeing it runs ok when you tilt it ,it sure sound like this is the case?

Read my latest post, you'll see that the problem is solved.

It must be that tilting the mower at the correct angle caused the governor mechanism (which uses gravity and centrifugal force) to keep the throttle open even without the spring in place.

hankg

Forum Newbie
Threads
Re: fuel delivery problem? - NOW Throttle problem!

Well, finally found some time to work on the mower a little.

btw, this model has the carb screwed directly onto to gas tank.

So I first tried some seafoam in the gas tank. That didn't do anything, so took off the gas tank, removed the carb and cleaned it out with carb cleaner. It wasn't really that dirty at all. That didn't help either, same problem. I was almost about to give up, but then I discovered that if I manually open up the throttle, the engine runs perfectly! This model does not have an adjustable throttle, it's supposed to be set at the factory. It seems to be controlled by some mechanism inside the crankcase. I don't know how it is supposed to work, but whatever it is, it is not working properly right now. I managed to get the mower running and mow my lawn by attaching a hanger to the throttle linkage and holding the throttle open. But I don't think this is a long term solution because it runs too fast like that. It's hard to fine tune the speed this way. I would like to get the throttle control fixed so that it runs like it's supposed to. Does anyone know how to do this? Preferably without taking apart the whole engine which I am not that interested in doing.

Thanks for your help!

I agree, the carb will need cleaning. If I may offer a bit of advice. Your engine has a oil SPLASH! lubricating system. When you tip the machine to the rear or to far off level, you seriously disrupt this splash system. The result of that is a wiped out cylinder , rings, piston or even all three. Don't run it in this manner to trouble shoot, you will pay a price for doing so.